Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Driver side mirror issue.

Hello,

I'm not sure how to track down an issue with my driver-side mirror on my 83 SC. When using the control on the door, I can only move it left or right. When I push the control forward or aft, the mirror still moves left and right. When controlling the passenger mirror, everything works fine. I understand there is some sort of solenoid that switches the movement mode, but I don't understand the wiring diagram and am not really skilled at that type of work. Any tips on where to start or how to diagnose the issue would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graups View Post
Hello,

I'm not sure how to track down an issue with my driver-side mirror on my 83 SC. When using the control on the door, I can only move it left or right. When I push the control forward or aft, the mirror still moves left and right. When controlling the passenger mirror, everything works fine. I understand there is some sort of solenoid that switches the movement mode, but I don't understand the wiring diagram and am not really skilled at that type of work. Any tips on where to start or how to diagnose the issue would be greatly appreciated.
I would pull it out not completely from the door panel...disconnect the switch from the relay and squirt some contact cleaner in first, and work the switch...I would do that a few times and see how that works for you

1967 912 Coupe
1985 911 Carrera
1967 MGB GT
Old 03-13-2018, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Remember you have to remove the top door rail/cover to allow access to pull out the switch

1967 912 Coupe
1985 911 Carrera
1967 MGB GT
Old 03-13-2018, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Factory Delivery-Original owner-Retired engineer
MIrror switch.

As I recall, there is a hole in the switch for contact cleaner lubrication.
Also, be careful as the switch is big$$$$$$$$.

Gerry
In the window of a bar in Hermosa Beach, California.
"Happy Hour prices during all car chases."

Last edited by 86 911 Targa; 03-13-2018 at 09:48 PM..
Old 03-13-2018, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graups View Post
Hello,

Well did it work? looking for some feedback!

1967 912 Coupe
1985 911 Carrera
1967 MGB GT
Old 03-14-2018, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: