Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question Purchased an '84 Carrera 3.2 -- need help identifying this disconnected plug!

Purchased an '84 Coupe. In going over the car thoroughly I've discovered a disconnected plug near the ignition leads below the idle control valve. See pictures below.

My concern is that this could be California smog-related however the dealer I purchased it from just ran it through a smog check and it passed (the test was done by the dealer, so who knows what they may have done)

Perhaps its something totally unrelated? Any help appreciated, thx in advance!

Old 06-12-2018, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
It's a connector plug for a TDC sensor located at the front of the engine over the flywheel. Doesn't hook in to the computer. Not really used for anything.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks very much for the reply--so based on what you're saying this is a male plug that is supposed to be disconnected unless you're plugging in the other end to check TDC?

That's a potential relief...I thought perhaps I got bamboozled
Old 06-12-2018, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Yes, diagnostics only
Old 06-12-2018, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you again--I'm looking forward to participating in this active forum since acquiring the car--signed up years ago.

Enjoy the day!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

did someone say new car?
Congrats!

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 06-12-2018, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Welcome Aboard!

Enjoy your new to you 3.2 :-)
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 06-12-2018, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys! I'm pretty happy with it--'84 Carrera Coupe with 145k documented miles, engine rebuilt 18k miles ago, gearbox rebuilt 12k miles ago. Originally sold new in SF and has stayed in California for all but one year.

She looks great from a few feet away and is mechanically healthy...a perfect 'driver' that I won't be afraid to put miles on! My father-in-law and I are both Porsche nuts and have owned several modern 911s in the past, we are looking forward to the unique experience of an air-cooled car

Old 06-13-2018, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Sweet ride! Car looks very clean.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Oh hello evil twin. Congrats!

Old 06-13-2018, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: