Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to DStar5000
68 912 5 Speed, Angle Drive pin missing

Hi Guys and Gals!

I replaced a speedo cable thinking it was bad, only to find out
that the pin in the angle drive that sticks in the cable is missing.

I have looked high and low and can't find one for sale. All I can
come up with is buying a rebuilt angle drive unit for $49.95.

Surely, someone sells that pin by itself!

Don
Old 05-01-2014, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

VDO might have them, otherwise, never seen any parts. Usually the plug falls out and tapping a dime in will fix it. If'n you lost some of the parts. You would then just purchase a new one.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The angle drive is some sort of hex arrangement and the speedo is a
slotted type of thing.

Don't know how a dime will help me....

Don
Old 05-02-2014, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Car is new to me. What is, is what I got!

Don
Old 05-02-2014, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You best buy the rebuilt one. A new one, now, costs over $110. The last new one I purchased was only about $25.00.

The dime fix is only for when the soft like plugs are gone, but the parts are still there. If you have any missing parts. Then you will need to replace the unit. Or if the people selling the rebuilt ones will fix the one that you have.

Pictures always help when you are asking for help. So we know exactly what you are asking. I am only guessing that you have parts missing or the shaft that goes into the transmission is broken off. The cable itself will fit into the slot on the end of the drive unit and the shaft on the other end goes into the transmission.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The part that I found missing is the slotted hex pin, at the top of this pic:

I guess someone had taken the speedo cable off before and lost it.

$60, with shipping, for something that probably doesn't cost $5?
Just makes me shake my head....

Don
Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Is there a plate/plug on the other end of the end of the part you have missing? If there isn't then that piece and the gear is missing and you will have to replace the whole unit. (the angle drive you have pictured it complete.)

If that piece is just broken off. You might be able to take the plug out and slide that part of the unit out. Then maybe you can be able to make a piece to fit, depending on your skills.

In the past, there was never any parts listed for the drive unit. We just replaced the unit.

Good luck, I believe you will have to just suck it up and purchase another drive unit.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Not very easy to see up in that thing. It is still installed on the car. Nothing
else is missing....

It looks like a hex drive, slotted screwdriver bit!

Yea, $60 for a $5 PART. Makes sense to me!

Don
Old 05-04-2014, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

It has been a few years. However, I believe that the cable goes into the slotted end.

You will loose some trans gear grease. But I would pull the drive out and compare it to the picture of the one posted. If it is the same the you may have gotten the wrong cable.

Otherwise good luck.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned from Boulder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStar5000 View Post
$60, with shipping, for something that probably doesn't cost $5?
Just makes me shake my head....

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStar5000 View Post

Yea, $60 for a $5 PART. Makes sense to me!

Don
It's a vintage Porsche not a bug.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

SO, I should just piss $50 down the drain in promotion of Old Porsche Snobbery?

Don
Old 05-05-2014, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaems View Post
It has been a few years. However, I believe that the cable goes into the slotted end.

You will loose some trans gear grease. But I would pull the drive out and compare it to the picture of the one posted. If it is the same the you may have gotten the wrong cable.

Otherwise good luck.
Don't need to pull it out! What I CAN see is just the hole, where that slotted hex piece should be! And that would go into the cable correctly also.

Don
Old 05-05-2014, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Then you have to buy a new or used one. Send it to VDO and see if they will fix it for you.

Quote:
SO, I should just piss $50 down the drain in promotion of Old Porsche Snobbery?
You quest yer Chester.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I have the same issue, but I bought the new angle drive.

The question I have is: How do I remove it?? There is no way I can get any kind of wrench in there to undo the hex nut around the drive.

To remove it do I remove the whole front transmission mount?

Trevor
Old 07-28-2018, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Trevor:
The angle drive is kept in by a locating bolt, circled in orange below. In the lower photo you'll see the arrow pointing to the hole which lines up with the pin bolt. You'll have to support the trans, then remove the crossmember mount. I've put a link to a good thread detailing removal and installation of the angle drive. Scroll down to see some additional photos which help explain how it mounts, etc. Link: 901 speedo drive gear Good luck, Bill

Old 07-30-2018, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: