Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What video camera to use?

I managed to snag a cheap mobile VCR (see my other post) to record my track exploits, and have tried a couple of those cheap security cameras mounted in various places in the car.

The problem I'm having is the auto exposure in the camera. If I mount the camera behind me (the typical "NASCAR" view), the camera picks up the car interior fine, but the view out the windshield is washed out. If I mount it looking directly out the windshield, the image is better, but bright sun still washes things out.

Anybody using a stand alone video camera (not a camcorder) that doesn't crap out in bright sunlight?
Old 03-13-2003, 11:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The camera I mentioned in the other post lets you set the "white" level so the view out the windshield will not wash out unless you have the sun right in your eyes. Part of the problem is we have black interiors and that is why I put the lexan panel in my targa top to brighten the interior a lot. This camera (PC17YC) was about $350 so it is not cheap but works great with the adjustment module. The way to set the camera is to run the VCR output into a TV set and set the camera while looking at the TV. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I wonder do the cameras you are talking about also record sound? I like hearing the shift points but my camcorder is having a problem with wind noise even when I use the filter in the menu, I even tried taping foam over the mic but it still sounds like a tornado.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The camera I bought had a separate mic that fit in the small case with the camera. It has foam over it but still gets some wind noise but I have the rear window in place to minimize it. You could always mount the mic some place else, such as in the engine compartment. Supercircuits is on the web and in Texas I think I remember correctly? The tech guy I talked to flys R/C helocopters with one of the cameras in it.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:15 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have used a camcorder.

The mount That I made clamps to the harness bar but holds the camera as low as posable. Many other mounts hold the camera too high so all you can see is the mirror.

Also, I have a wide angle lens which gives a good view of the interior and the track.

I mounted a small light to the dashboard and wired it to the brake lights so I could see when I hit the brakes and release.

And lastly, I use a power inverter so I never have to worry about the battery going dead mid run.

If I had a remote camera, I would make it a helmet cam. If the image wouldn't be too shakey. I'd try it anyway. All too often, solid mount cameras don't show more than the entrance to the turn coming up. This is where my wide angle lense is helpfull.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

John, thanks for the replies. I tried the PC17YC with the controls but returned it because I didn't want to fool around with making an enclosure for the camera AND the controller card.

I vaguely remember your(?) post on the lexan "sunroof" (did you used to be "John2kx")? I'm way too lazy for all that, was hoping there is a camera out there with a little more "smarts". It was the sunroof post that prompted me to try the windshield mount (a short bracket off the screws that hold the inboard sun visor mounts). The camera I use is slightly smaller than yours, and I have no issues with vibration, just the wash out.

On the audio thing, I use those little external line level mikes that the security camera shops sell, taped to the A pillars of the roll cage (with the mic head dangling about 2 inches on its cable). Don't get wind noise up there, but get a low frequency rumble when I get over 100 mph.

Here's a shot from last Nov (ONE day before the snow moved in).

Last edited by ss6; 03-14-2003 at 11:09 AM..
Old 03-14-2003, 05:49 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Old 03-14-2003, 05:49 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: