Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to ViolentBlue
Coil pack ignition

Has anyone tried this on their 914?
Just wondering if I ewas the first to use this on snything other than a type 1 engine
Old 03-19-2003, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I saw this set up on a 914 track car at a shop I used to work at part-time. The owner said it worked really well with the carbs and big cam.

How is it working out on your engine?

Ed

http://community.webshots.com/user/evill914
Old 03-20-2003, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I just recieved it yesterday, I'll put it on tonight or this weekend, and when my wiring kit arrives I'll be able to get it running. so when I recieve my next package it'll be a marathon to get the beetle done for a show on the 28th
Old 03-20-2003, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Can you adjust the advance curve or do you have to use whatever the 009 is set at?
Old 03-20-2003, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I believe timing is identical to the 009
Old 03-20-2003, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It sounds like it still uses the distributor to initiate the spark. This does, however, look like it takes care of generating the spark and also distributing it.

And it is of the "wasted-spark" type, so you get an extra spark in the exhaust stroke.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-20-2003, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

For the money, you can get a superior ignition system from Jacobs Electronics, the Fire Control System, http://www.fcignition.com/products.htm and http://www.jacobselectronics.com/
One of the advantages is, if you had an ignition failure, in about 2 minutes and no tools, you can convert back to the stock ignition.
I have these systems on two of my cars and getting ready to install on another.
Phil
Old 03-20-2003, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If it is the Compufire DIS IX, the distributor is the trigger only for the multicoil pack. Comes with an 009.

Compufire says that it can only be used with the 009, but a local VW speed shop says they'll show me how to install the guts in an FI dizzy to utilize the stock initial timing and advance curve.

As accurate as your going to get without fabing a crankshaft paddle and mag pickup assembly.

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 03-20-2003, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

its basically, a 009 with a lot better spark, better startup etc.

reading through the instalation manual, advises against turning the engine over by hand with the key on, with the strength of the spark you could start the engine by hand.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have the Compufire system on my Raby 2270. It works great so far. Jake was able to modify an 050 distributor to work with this system. I'm running the plug gap at .050". I liked the idea of getting rid of the rotor and just using the distributor as a spark advance mechanism. I would like to upgrade to a Mallory distributor but I'm not sure the parts would fit. One weird thing is that sometimes a cylinder will fire just by turning on the ignition.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: