Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Rookie engine drop question

Full disclosure - new to 914's - never dropped a motor on one.

Background:

Race car, No heat, Carbs (no injection or brain stuff) no smog gear. Just fuel lines, oil lines (to coolers) throttle cable and ignition wiring. That's it.
No engine lid or interference - wide open space (see image) yes, that's the ground you see there.

So here's the question - does it make any sense - is it possible to drop the engine only. Trans stays in car? The reason is to access clutch, do medium level work or even do a swap quickly. Back in my VW days I could have the motor on the floor in a half hour without disrupting the trans, axles rear brakes, etc but I TOTALLY get apples and oranges here.

Thanks.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Hi Charles - check out the link below; it may help you.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_engine_drop/914_engine_drop.htm
Old 05-17-2019, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
Hi Charles - check out the link below; it may help you.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_engine_drop/914_engine_drop.htm
Saw that thread, but rather different circumstances.
Thx.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I've never dropped just the engine before. I've dropped just the trans in order to do the clutch, but not just the engine.

So, here's a question for you: What are you trying to avoid by just dropping the engine? You'll have to remove the shift linkage and clutch and speedo cables either way (they're gonna be in the way of an engine drop). So you're saving... The CV joint bolts and the transmission mount bolts; I think that's it. Oh, and the transmission ground strap; can't forget that!!

Up to you if that's worth working around the trans.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-17-2019, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
I've never dropped just the engine before. I've dropped just the trans in order to do the clutch, but not just the engine.

So, here's a question for you: What are you trying to avoid by just dropping the engine? You'll have to remove the shift linkage and clutch and speedo cables either way (they're gonna be in the way of an engine drop). So you're saving... The CV joint bolts and the transmission mount bolts; I think that's it. Oh, and the transmission ground strap; can't forget that!!

Up to you if that's worth working around the trans.

--DD
As said - rookie question. Drawing on more experienced brain trust here.
I guess my thought was that since I work primarily alone it would be a lighter package to deal with. I have seen brackets that mount to a floor jack that stabilizes the engine-trans as it comes out. I'll look further. I do have quick-jacks, so hopefully that, with my existing assortment of floor jacks (and even a small rolling lift table) will make it possible by myself.
Thanks!
(and yes, I'll make a note to double check trans ground strap!)
Old 05-18-2019, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'd drop the engine+trans package. The small extra work of dropping it with the engine is easily cancelled by the hassle of trying to fit the engine to the gearbox while under the car.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks for the help. Might consider pulling trans only for clutch work, but otherwise pull the whole d-train for engine.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
+1 on Falcor's comment.

Not quite as fast as a Type I engine removal, but pretty darn quick compared to anything else.

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2019, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
Oh, and the transmission ground strap; can't forget that!!
But you will...

Dave's right. 15 more minutes' work and the whole thing comes down easier and in one piece.

As for managing the balance...Chris Foley sells a floorjack bracket that makes it much easier...(sorry to promo another supplier, Dave...)

Custom 914 Tools

I'm lucky: I have a lift. Mine comes out "Edd China style": onto the top of the 44" Harbor Freight roller toolbox...
Old 05-20-2019, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Don't be sorry; Chris is one of the White Hats.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-20-2019, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My engine bay isn't much different than yours. I've dropped both engine and trans in 20 minutes. Keep them together and it will be much easier.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 05-21-2019, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by URY914 View Post
My engine bay isn't much different than yours. I've dropped both engine and trans in 20 minutes. Keep them together and it will be much easier.

Will do. Thanks.
Will also get the Tangerine jack cradle.

Sent from charles freebornís mobile thingamajig

Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: