Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to macman
Question about trunk light

where is the trigger for the rear trunk light? i noticed that i had one that didn't work the other day. How does it trigger? i have looked all around the back trunk and could not find a single thing that even looked like a trigger but i thought it would be cool to have a trunk light. Any info is apprecieated!

------------------
Michael Scheid
(206) 232-9854
Old 10-04-1999, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There isn't one. The trunk light (I think there's only one in the rear trunk, none in the front) is only on when the headlights or parking lights are on. It is directly connected to the license plate lights.

Kinda cheesy, but I guess that made it cheaper for VW and Porsche to make the cars.

--DD
Old 10-04-1999, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

And it also explains why so many people's trunk light doesn't work. Because the bulb is burnt out from being on so much.

If a bulb is on in the middle of the trunk but there is no one to see it, does it make light?
Old 10-05-1999, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

"If a bulb is on in the middle of the trunk but there is no one to see it, does it make light?"

Yes.
Alpine
Old 10-05-1999, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Woh, buys! no need to get theoretical over it! Thanks alot, i was going to just hook it up to the parking lights, than i thought, the only time i would be able to use it would be when someone else is driving my car, than i thought about how often i let others drive my car and came to the conclution that i wanted to make a trigger that works when the car is off and the trunk is open. Has anyone ever done this? do you have any cleaver ideas? thanks again!

------------------
Michael Scheid
(206) 232-9854
Old 10-05-1999, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
i understand the idea of putting a switch in the trunk, i just wanted to see if anyone had a good way to put the switch in while makeing it look professional and unnoticeable. I think what i will do it put the switch under one of the rubber stoppers on the left side and make it a pressure switch.
Old 10-05-1999, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Since you'd be altering the original lamp anyway, why not just pick up a mercury switch and lamp combo from an American car at any junkyard? You'd still have to turn on the park lamps at night but then you'd want them anyway, and no running of new wiring to install the mercury switch.
Old 10-06-1999, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Just an idea, I didn't look at my car.

If Im remembering correctly, you coud put a switch inside the rear body of the car, next to the latch. Using the latch on the hood as the triggering spot. It seams to me that this could work, and that it could be mounted in a way that it would be hard to see it. Just an idea...

P.S. If the bulb is on and heat is generated then yes it must make a light. Next question: If the trunk catches on fire, was the bulb on?
Old 10-06-1999, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well, if I was to do it, I'd go down to Radio Shack and pick up a mercury position switch (I think they still sell them) for a few bucks and attach it to the trunk hinge on the driver side. Should be wired to a constant 12V source.

Short wire run, no visible holes or switches.
Old 10-06-1999, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
great ideas, i have never heard of a murcury switch, i guess i am soon to find out.

------------------
Michael Scheid
(206) 232-9854
Old 10-06-1999, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

A mercury switch is just a little tube with a blob of mercury inside it and two electrical contacts on one end. When the tube is tilted one way, the blob runs down and covers the contacts and completes the circuit. When it is tilted the otherway it breaks the contact.

Only drawback I could see with this arrangement is that the light could also come on if you were to go down a VERY steep hill or rear end somebody. In both cases, your trunk light coming on momentarily would probably be the least of your worries.

Old 10-06-1999, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: