Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rattlecan Dave Strikes again!

....Just thought Id share a little experience I had painting my old 914 conversion and what one can do with 20 cans of Home Depot purchased "rustoleum" laquer and a hell of allota work.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Footenote on paint.....

I dont know how long the paint will last Vs real automotive finishes......but there is a clear laquer that can be applied over it.....

I sent Rust o Leum some pics & a short synopsis of the project & they basically sent me a casual...hO hum....ok.....kinda reply...hahahaha!.....oh well.

Dave.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

Looks like a LOT of sandpaper.

Im going to copy this to the 914 board as well
Old 04-11-2003, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Cool! I am impressed! Did you wear your index finger out pressing the spray button? Or did you use one of those snap on plastic spray handles? I use on for my current parts spraying work and it relly makes spray can use easier.

Mike
Old 04-11-2003, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Wow, deja vu. Good to hear from you, I thought you dropped off the face of the earth. You get another P-car yet?

Seems like I saw that car right after it got painted almost two years ago, and now I see it in this post. Kinda like twilight zone.
I know "someone" who painted his front valence on his 911 with the black laquer, then hit it with clear after color sanding.

Pep boys sells all kinds of different colors of rattle can laquer paint for auromobiles including clear. I wouldn't do an entire car, too much work. But if someone wanted to paint a small piece this is an option. It takes a lot of labor.

BTW Aaaaaaaaaron has the chebby V8 in it now, it runs good but it has an oil leak on the front on the engine he needs to address.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
Dooode. That looks nice in the pics...

I heart Boobies
Old 04-11-2003, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Did ya get a new ride? Cool, gonna go on some runs with us?
Old 04-11-2003, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hey guys.....

I didnt post this, jared did...hehee...but anyway, Im not a P car owner anymore, I schllept over to the Beemer side for a bit and I was bragging about my ex ride.

I hear that Aaron has a smc in it now.....(or that was the last I heard of it)

Maybe its somewhere in orbit chasing "vader" around..

Anyway, Ill keep tabs on the group & when you guys have a "run" maybe Ill poke along (in the front) with my 325.

Take care, Mike & Sammy.

Dave.

OOOppps I just re read Sammys post...ok. it does have a cheeby in it...cool!, anyone know if he repainted (hehe) it?..or any pics?

Last edited by daves325; 04-11-2003 at 05:51 PM..
Old 04-11-2003, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Maf...yep, My finger got so flat that I could use it as a stopper in my bath tub.

The ideal way to shoot laquer from a can is NOT shoot it from the can. More specifically, next time I do this, (which will be real soon) is to evacuate the gas from the can by holding it upside down till empty then extract the paint from can & shoot it on with a real paint gun.....:-)
Old 04-11-2003, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I also remove paint from aerosal cans for use with an airbrush for model making. The airbrush gives much finer control than a spray can, especially once the spray can nozzle gets a little paint build-up. I rig up a way to support the can in an upside down position and place a heavy weight on the bottom of the can. This then presses the nozzle open and allows the propellent to escape, while I do something else. Once the can is dead I open it by punching a hole in it with an old style can opener and pour the paint into a clean jar.

If using a spray gun, wouldn't it would be easier to buy the paint from an auto paint shop?

Mike

Last edited by maf 914; 04-12-2003 at 06:34 AM..
Old 04-12-2003, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Kinda hard to buy acrylic laquer in the people's republic if Kalifornia any more, or even the thinner for that matter. It can be done but it takes some "creativity" in most areas. It's also cheaper buying $80 worth of rattle cans than buying a gallon of automotive paint along with reducer, fish eye stuff, etc.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Most of the paint rules in CA....exempt "hobby sizes". Anything under 1 liter (3.785 liters=1 gallon) is exempt from controls....so anything short of liquid crack is available. Just in small sizes and non-refillable aerosol cans.

Not sure, but you should be able to get the same stuff in quart containers without have having to drain a rattle can. Try an order it.....might have to buy a case of it, though.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Ehoes both Sammy & Mike on that plus, "the laquer thats available is missing a keytone component that the laquer of yesteryear had"....(Theodore Roosevelt)..(haha).

Besides, extracting the contents of 20 or so cans of aerosol paint give me the undergraduate status in the MacGuyver school of accomplishment.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: