Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Starter or Ign switch which 1 is going?

Had a hot start prob yesterday on my 75 2.0. Drove the car for an hour, tried to turn it on again after 2 hours. Turned the key, the fuel pump would kick on, gauges work etc, but no crank.
Green and red light on in gauge; neither flashing.
After waiting another 10 minutes it finally started . The tranny ground strat, volt reg, coil, pertronix ign, are new btw. Im thinking its the starter but would like to confirm with you guys. Lost my 914 tech tips book and want to get it fixed this week.

Last edited by tod914; 04-13-2003 at 07:21 AM..
Old 04-13-2003, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Try jumping directly to the starter with a remote starter switch. That will bypass all the inside wiring and tell you if the starter is the problem. Good luck
Old 04-13-2003, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Bang on the solenoid next time with a BFH.....should free it. Then you KNOW you have the typical 914 hot start problem.....
Old 04-13-2003, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I had an intermittent problem with my ignition switch that sounded like that, shortly before it quit completely. Check it out, it's easy to fix...
Old 04-13-2003, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Todd -

If you wants some notes/picts about installing a starter relay... send me an e-mail to bell@zorba.jpl.nasa.gov.

- Dave
Old 04-14-2003, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I just got a new switch - the cheaper of the 2 evils. going to install it on wed. The guy I was speaking with said he thought it was the switch being that there wasnt any clicking noise when i turned the key. Makes sence. Whats involved with replacing this? do i need to remove the steering wheel? if so what size socket do i need for it? thanks again
Old 04-14-2003, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Check here:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_ignition_switch/914_ignition_switch.htm

A valuable resource for you, when you want to know how to do a particular task on the car--
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.htm

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-15-2003, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
It's probably not your switch. The problem is more likely that your solenoid is jamming or stuck after heat soaking. I had exactly the same problem as you did on my car for oh, about 15 years. I finally got tired of whacking on the solenoid with the jack handle and bought a new starter (figured the starter was probably nearly shot from 30 years of use). Problem solved, total cost about $100 and you can change the starter motor in about 30 minutes, very easy job.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

thanks again dave
Old 04-15-2003, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: