Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Replating of Calipers...

I've got my caliper halves sandblasted and am now looking at finish.

I'd love to get them Cadmium plated to appear original.

Also, if plated, do the bores and passages get plated too? I don't see a way NOT to replate the bores as the entire piece is submerged in the plating tank.

Also, would replating affect piston fit if the plating got in the bores?

Thanks,
Old 04-20-2003, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You do not want to plate the bores, as it will change the dimension of the bore. The plating can also flake off, which is bad news for your brakes. You can mask off the bores in a similar (but not the same) way as when painting.

Diitto all of the sealing surfaces of the caliper half.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-21-2003, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Yes, the platers can direct the plating to wanted surfaces and prevent plating from goint to machined surfaces as DD said. They do this w/ bolt threads all the time. I've seen plain ol' masking tape used.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

karl, please let me know if you find someone that does the cad plating. noone over here does it.

doug
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougwatersfotos/
Old 04-21-2003, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Was the original finish cad plated?

All original calipers I have seen have been raw cast iron.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Here's what mine look like. My 911 has never been touched and they are cad plated as well - but not as shiney...
Old 04-21-2003, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'd love to hear how you make out. I had no luck finding a local cadmium plater last year when I split and sandblasted a bunch of calipers, and was also wondering about plating or masking of the inerts. I also looked into some of the home plating kits (none found with cadmium) and Eastwoods multi-step pseudo-cad rattle can products, amongst others. I ended up using a tiny can of silver por (plenty left over) on my 914 calipers, but still have a set of 914-6 calipers (part of 5-lug setup) that I'd like to have cad plated.
Ed
PS I wish I had treated/painted the hardware cause it's rusting all over my shiney calipers!
Old 04-21-2003, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I had my calipers done in cad and then black passivated bright zinc which results in a satin charcoal colour. Its great because it stands up to brake fluid and doesn't chip. The reason for the cad first is so that the zinc will stick.

Howie
Old 04-22-2003, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Alternately you could paint them. Pelican has a 2 part paint that looks really shiny. I used it on the calipers on my "other baby"... but I don't know how well the paint holds up in actual use since the other car's not driveable yet.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Check out www.goldlinebrakes.com and there polymer coated brakes. I'm having a set rebuilt & polymer coated red. Should get them back latter next week sometime. Good price on rebuilds & nice people to deal with.

Ralph

74 2.0
Old 04-23-2003, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: