Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question dual carb setup

I have opportunity to purchase a dual dellorto 34 setup to replace my single carb in a 2.0 liter engine . Is this setup large enough for my car. cam is .391 lift 270 duration
Old 09-22-2003, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The 36 Dellortos flow about the same as 40 Webers. The 34's however, I am not sure about. Isnt that a single barrel carb? If so, It would be about the same as your single maybe a little more and a little harder to maintain.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 09-22-2003, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Doesn't sound like enough carb to me. I would think that Dell 36es would be a minimum (or Weber 40s), and that you could easily stand to go one size up on that, even.

I must state that I'm not much of a "carb guy", so if those who are express opinions on the subject, listen to them!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-22-2003, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Dell 34s are called FRDS...Or "Freds" They are single abarrel likenesses of the Weber ICT......Not enough air for the fire!
www.massivetype4.com
Old 09-22-2003, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi Jake,

What is the maximum recommended dual carb sizes on a stock 1.7L (1972) The FI was removed in 1980 when the electronics went sour. A single Weber was installed at that time.

The car runs fine - but it is still a stock 1.7L and a single carb....

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2003, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
In my opinion, with the stock camshaft still in there, I would just leave the single carb setup. Just my opinion.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 09-22-2003, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

thanks for all the info . i will look at other options.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Ugh. Single carb setups are pretty awful on our engines. Unless you go through the trouble of finding a way to heat up the manifold--then they improve to "mediocre"...

--DD

Old 09-23-2003, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Dave - I agree.

I need an alternative (other than finding/installing FI) to the single carb without a total engine rebuild to increase performance - even a little.

I am going to pull the motor to do some rustoration in the engine bay and can do little improvements to the motor at that time. I plan on replacing return tube seals, main seal, clutch etc. while it is at that stage.

Is a new cam a simple install at this point.

Maybe the WebCam 00-152:
.423 Lift
270 Duration
"Good overall power for carburated mech. street engines. RPM range 2500-5500. The perfect street cam!"

I weekend street drive it only - no AX.

Then I could go with twin carbs?

Maybe 40 IDFs?
Old 09-23-2003, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I use 40s on my 1.7..

I think with 40's you are good to the 2.0/2056 range...
Old 09-23-2003, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

tat2dphreak,

Is that with a stock cam?

Do you think it performs like a 1.7L with FI?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2003, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I do believe it is a stock cam.. I've never ridden in a stock FI 1.7 so I can't tell you if it is the same... come to think of it... I haven't ridden in an FI 914 at all!
it does seem to scoot pretty well... eventhough it's not 100%..
it doesn't perform as well as the 2056 my friend here in Dallas has... and he's running weber 40's as well... but he's cheating... yellow cars are faster!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks Wayne.

I should be okay with 40's.

Do you happen to know what jets are in them?
Old 09-23-2003, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
also, a cam is not an easy swap... you have to split the case!!! I'll scrap my 1.7 to build something bigger if I am going to do that!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Kansas 914

Do you happen to know what jets are in them?
not right off... I believe they are the stock jets though... I "inheirited" this motor from the PO... don't know a lot about what he did/didn't do to it... which is why is becoming a headache...
Old 09-23-2003, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks again.

I know all about the woes of a PO. I noticed a dumbass repair made by the PO and then I remembered I was the one who had done it back in 1980........

I hate it when I am the PO...
Old 09-23-2003, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
If single carb setups for 914's are so bad, how come there are a hundred thousand bugs running around with single carbs that do fine?

Is there something about the type-IV that makes the single carb worse than for the type-I?
Old 09-23-2003, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Yes. Heat risers. If you block those off on your Bug, it runs like crap. Why? The carb doesn't get any heat, so it atomizes fuel very very poorly.

There ain't no heat risers on a Type IV. Never had 'em. You can build them and put them on if you like, or electrically heat the manifold, but why bother? Duals perform better and you don't have to mess with the heat issues. They sit right above the heads, after all, and have short intake paths.

--DD

Old 09-23-2003, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

DD,

Well put.

It makes sense to me.

I got to get rid of this single carb........

Thanks
Old 09-23-2003, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Cool. Thanks Dave. I have never owned or worked on a bug so I was wondering what the big deal was.

I thought a lot of times you wanted to get heat away from the carbs, with phenolic spacers and stuff, to avoid boiling the gas in them?
Old 09-23-2003, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: