Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

start issues

Well my 'new' Teener ('76 Calif. 2.0) still will not start (had wondering idle when I received it but ran; removed TB and cleaned it and adjusted TPS....) after I 'fixed' it.

Wants to run and sometimes even will for a minute; Pelican article says Calif models ECU may cut off fuel on deceleration so TPS adjustment is critical AND guess work; I adjusted TPS per article and using mechanic stethoscope can hear it click as TB is opened.

Wondering if carb cleaner may have gotten into TPS causing problems? So... how do you seperate the TPS from the TB? Or failing that, how do you open the cover to the TPS? I want to look at the inside and coat the contacts with Stabilant-22.

Also my throttle body shaft has a slight bend where the acc. cable attaches....is this normal design or has it been bent?

Any recomendations on TB rebuilders?

It did pass Calif emissions last year;

Checking realy board I get voltage to the 30 post (all 3 relays) when ignition on but not to the 87 or 86 posts....normal?
Old 07-25-2004, 10:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
To get the TPS off of the TB, you remove the two screws and then pull and wiggle. To remove the cover from the TPS you just pry back the tabs that fit over the metal backing plate in about four or six spots.

Not sure about the throttle shaft bend.

Some of the relays should have +12V on pin 30 at all times. Maybe all of them... With the ignition on, one of the relays will have power to pin 85 and ground to 86. That should make +12V show up at pin 87 (if the relay is plugged in). One relay will ground either 85 or 86 when the heater lever is up all the way; one relay will have one pin grounded by the ECU when the pump is supposed to run.

I would look for unplugged wires and hoses, myself...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-25-2004, 10:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks....the TB shaft has slight bend at the acc. cable hookup, like it was done to correct angle gemometry which is why I'm not sure its wrong;

I get 12v @ #30 but w/ign on AND with ign cranking the starter motor get 0 v @ 87 on all 3 relays. Perhaps a blown fuse....
Old 07-26-2004, 07:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
It's not clear quite what you're talking about... The relay's function is to bridge #30 to #87 when there is a voltage difference between #85 and #86. So 87 is the "output" of the relay--if the relay is not plugged in you will never measure voltage at that pin.

With the ignition on, the "FI power relay" should see ground on either 85 or 86, and +12V on the other one. I believe #30 should always have power, ignition on or off. The fuel pump relay gets power from the FI power relay, and a ground for 86 (I think) is provided by the ECU through the four-pin connector at the left-rear of the relay board.

--DD

Old 07-26-2004, 08:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Manual says to check voltage on pin 87 of relay w/ign on. If 0 volts then see if 30 has voltage. It does. Book says this means bad relay; (I did check w/realys plugged in, just touching the pins w/narrow lead). Don't believe all 3 relays went bad at same time!

Book may be wrong, this is the same manual that said to adjust my TPS using a pin on TPS harness thats not even hooked into the wiring harness (said to use further most left side pin and 3rd pin; Pelican article - which is right - said to use 2nd and 3rd pins).
Old 07-26-2004, 10:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
I'm guessing that pulling the relay out of the socket enough to test it actually unplugged it...

Here, check the relay board diagram:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Electrical/914_electric_73E.jpg

You can see that pin 87 of the FI power relay connects to the right-front pin in the four-pin connector. You can unplug that and check for voltage there when the ignition is on. If you don't get voltage there, check for +12V on pin #7 of the 12-pin connector at the right-rear of the relay board. (This pin goes to the + terminal on the coil, so you could alternately check that.) If you get voltage there, then make sure the wire going to pin #10 on the 14-pin connector at the front of the relay board has a ground. Or you can check that by checking pin #85 of the rear window defroster relay socket.

See how those tests work out...

--DD

Old 07-26-2004, 02:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 07-26-2004, 02:39 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: