Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What part is this? (fuel injection 1.7)

I started tinkering with the fuel injection hoses today, found out some pieces that I dunno what they are...Also there were lotsa pieces that did not belong, this is what put me clueless, can this be removed??

Its the most rusty part (not the car !!) in the picture.
Hoses come from fuel filter to the pump, and that thing is after the pump. I believe the fuel pressure regulator is on the other side of the engine...at least there is one..

In this picture you can see that it has also a screw...is this necessary??
Old 01-31-2005, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I believe that is a diaphram of some sort that is involved in fuel pressure regulation. Your pump appears to be a very early model. Newer pumps have three connections on the pump, you appear to have only 2, plus a third one located on the rusty unidentified part. I would leave it where it was unless you think it may be causing you trouble. Also, if the location of the pump is normally where you show it in the picture, I would suggest you mount it under the tank - or at least somewhere not up against the engine.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yea, it was mounted under the battery tray, with that thingie.

No, I think it is not causing me trouble...just found it odd, since none of the diagrams I saw on Pelican (for example) had that kinda thing attached to the fuel injection system.

I believe the car is -70's model (serial said so) , although I have registration paper that says that its a -71...dunno then..
Old 01-31-2005, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

pressure dampner

They had these on some of the early cars, the idea was that it dampened the pulses of fuel out of the fuel pump... it wont really change anything if you take it off. You really should move your fuel pump to the front of the car to help with vapor lock though...
Old 01-31-2005, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I know that the damper is on the functional diagram of the fuel system in the factory manual (and replicated in Haynes), but I was not aware that it was ever actually used.

The pump looks different than I am used to seeing as well; it does not look to have three outlets. (S, D, R== Suction, Pressure, Return.)

...Very curious!!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-01-2005, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yea... Well, this is the situation. Wonder if this car is "special" somehow...heh..yea, i know, wishful thinking..

If anybody has a scanned diagram of this early 914 injection system (in whole) I would appreciate if you could email that to me.

Also if somebody happens to have an extra 914 manual, no matter what language, scanned, photocopy or other....Could I have it =) ??
Old 02-01-2005, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you've got about $20, you can buy a Haynes manual. It has about 85% of the info from the factory manual--in fact, almost all the images and words are direct copies from the factory one! Well worth the price, especially considering the fact that the factory manuals are over $300.

I very highly recommend the Haynes manual. It is far from the best workshop manual I've ever seen, but it is just as good as the official factory manual.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-01-2005, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

Actually, Dave, I think you're right. After looking at the pump more closer, it appears to be a 911 fuel pump (1973-74) with the fuel accumulator. Interesting..
Old 02-01-2005, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: