Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
MFORCE

Garage
Porsche 914 Conversion to 911?

This may be a silly question but, here goes. My goal is to create a mid engine 911. Can a 914 be converted into a 911? I know the wheelbase is slighly different, but couldn't I use 911 fenders/quarters, decklid and bumbers, then modyfy the rear targa glass pillars?

As for the wheel base, I dunno....Any thoughts?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
no silly questions out there, just how much money do you have? anything is possible with enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. if you have enough money to convert a 914 into a 911, why not just by a carrera gt? mid-engined "911"...
73 914 2.0 CIS #80
74 914 1.8L L-jet
83 911SC
Old 02-02-2005, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

$65000.00 in labor and 6 months I'll build you one, or $26000.00 labor and 3 months I'll build you a mid-engine 911.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
MFORCE

Garage
Ya I would love a gt...don't happen to have that much money.

26000? do you have pics of other work you have done?
Old 02-02-2005, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The only "911-look" 914s that I've seen have been total hack-jobs. With one exception, that being Ron Mistak's 911 GT1 look-alike, but that was a car that was mostly tubes and custom-made fiberglass. There was just enough 914 left for it to qualify for PCA Club Racing... It was a real work of art, and probably cost Ron well into six figures to do.

The mid-engine'd 911 has been done. You cut a big hole where the back seat goes, mount the engine there, and build a metal box around it. I've seen one in person, and photos of one or two more.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-02-2005, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
MFORCE

Garage
ok thanks, I will have to keep researching.

If you know of any on the web I can look at let me know.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
Quote:
My goal is to create a mid engine 911.
Porsche already did it ... it's called a Boxster/986. If ya wanna go even faster, just drop a 3.4L or 3.6L into it and go.

Wait a little longer and you can have the future Boxster coupe (i.e. Cayman, Caiman, Gayman, sumthin-like-dat).

Either of these is a LOT less of a hassle (maybe even le$$ $$$) than convertin' some 911 to mid-engine.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
Boxster... Haha, thats funny.

On a realistic note, if you wanna hear from some who acturally knows what he's talking about and has already done this.... give Otto a call of Ottos' Venice. Heres his site: http://www.ottosvenice.com/

914gem and Dave are right, how much do you want to spend??? (and its a good thing jamcloed said that in the second post... wink wink Rouser, yur gettin slow). I would do it, and you can see my work by clicking on my 914-6gt link below. I've done all the body work, paint, wiring, and all the present and future mechanical work.

Starting with a 914 would be a waist of time, you'd have to buy a 911 anyways to get the rest of the body parts... even a badly rusted 911 could be fitted with a cage and fabricated replacement panels would be way more affortable than starting with a 914.

I applaud your enthusiasum. Porsche H2O just isn't the same.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
MFORCE

Garage
Hey thanks for the info and support, ya a boxster is nice (really nice), but there is nothing (in my opinion) that comes close to a late model 911, except one that is mid engined?

I know it will cost...how much I can spend I have't really worked out yet. I will keep you informed as to which route i go.

Getting sprring fever...
Old 02-02-2005, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
OCD project capitan

Garage
If i was giong to do this project, and just throwing numbers around, this is what i would expect...

Using a 1980 SC coupe, to turn the motor around , i would charge $12,000. The rear shocks would have to be converted to coil-over, the rear shock towers and new front engine mount connection would need to be braced together b/c the torsion bar tubes would be gone. Custom trailing arms would need to be made (or maybe 914 ones could be used) because the engine now interfers the inner mounts. Wevo tail shift kit, with a custom shift linkage setup. And then the obvious sheet metal shroud over the motor with air ducting to the fan.

Man would that be cool!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
Quote:
Boxster... Haha, thats funny.
Exactly what's funny about it?
Quote:
wink wink Rouser, yur gettin slow
No, actually everybody else is getting smarter, wink-wink.
Quote:
I know it will cost...how much I can spend I have't really worked out yet.
Believe me, get yourself a Boxster (prices are getting very good), upgrade with some 996 parts (larger engine/brakes), and go have fun.

Unless you have the mechanical resources/skills required (dial Otto's if need be), and the son of a banker (aforementioned $$$), this is a project you go into with eyes/wallet wide open.

Hope I didn't I say anything negative BigD9146gt (wink-wink).

Old 02-03-2005, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
MFORCE

Garage
Ya I have thought about that as well...but a mid engied 911 is the dream, especially if I could build it....

How about this, 911 turbo flares on a boxster?
Old 02-03-2005, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

A mid engine 911 targa with the motor under glass would be cool.

Joe
Old 02-05-2005, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

remember when porsche did that to a 944

Didn't porsche make a mide engine 944 with a 911 engine when the were working on the boxster?
Old 02-06-2005, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
One suggestion for Joe--try making a mid-engine'd Bug first. It should be easier, in part because you can take the whole body off of the Bug's floor pan. And it will have similar issues to the 911--relocating the torsion bar assemblies, etc. And bug parts are immensely cheaper than 911 parts.

It would probably be a good and relatively inexpensive way to practice.

--DD

Old 02-07-2005, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

D.D., I was only dreaming but it goes like this. Take a 914 and lose the fenders, targa bar, door jams, door hinge pillars with windshield & cowl area. Add 911 targa bar w/ rear window, w/ door jams, door hinge pillars,hang 911 doors w/ windshield & cowl. Early hood, mild flares w/ deep steel wheels. Hinged rear targa glass w/ RSR motor, Boxter tranny & rear suspension.

A mid engine bug would be cool but I'd rather use a Ghia.

Joe
Old 02-07-2005, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
A Ghia would also work, but a Bug would be cheaper. And I figure the idea would be to use the Bug as practice for all of the work you'd need to do when you actually started doing the same job to a 911.

Much easier to just modify the 911 than to try grafting a 914 and a 911 together.

--DD

Old 02-08-2005, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave at Pelican Parts
The only "911-look" 914s that I've seen have been total hack-jobs. With one exception, that being Ron Mistak's 911 GT1 look-alike, but that was a car that was mostly tubes and custom-made fiberglass. There was just enough 914 left for it to qualify for PCA Club Racing... It was a real work of art, and probably cost Ron well into six figures to do.
Holy Cow!! I googled Ron Mistak and found a pic of the car!! Is the construction of this beauty documented anywhere on the web or are there more pics floating around?? What are the specs on this beast? Dayyam!!

Old 02-11-2005, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I drooled over that car for an hour one day, kept thinkin i needed it more that air.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Excellence #82 Dec. 1998 has a good article on Mistak's car. Tube frame,center seat,993 rear suspension,901 tranny,2.8 RSR motor.It looks like a RC car next to a 914.

Joe
Old 02-11-2005, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: