Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 turn signal problem

This is a 'help me' message copied as posted elsewhere.

Well, I've done all my homework, but failed the exam. Just can't seem to get my right turn signals to function. The left signals work fine, just replaced the turn signal ticker relay with a new one from PP, and all terminals throughout the entire vehicle are emery cloth scrubbed and dialectric grease protected, and proper new, tested and functioning bulbs installed, so I seem to have a swapped wire or a burn through? . . . Hope someone else here can relate, and not just because misery loves company--I need to get this old car inspection tagged.
Symptoms: leaving the rt. turn signal on, or the hazards pulled, the ticker relay grows warm on the side with the 31 pole brown ground, and finger pressure left an indent in the casing on that side (which I've seen before on these 914 relays). When rt. turn signal is engaged, NO voltage goes to the front or rear blinking filaments, but weak blinking is apparent in all the other parking lights (given, they are on) and over into the left signal indicator in the gauge, and the alternator warning lamp as well. Basically everything else blinks weakly. I'll certainly welcome any guesses seriously and with gratitude, thanks.
Oh yeah, rear unit's wires are properly located, haven't checked the fronts yet. And the signal switch in the steering column is new.

John Lambert in Pittsburgh
71' 914 --not pretty, but loved and alive.
88' Ford Extended Van --the 'teener would fit inside.

Old 08-17-2000, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you haven't checked the column switch, that is about the only thing left. Pull the wire plug from under the dash and jumper the wires as per the Pelican color diagram or the Haynes manual.
Old 08-17-2000, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That sounds worth a try. I'll give it a shot, thanks. If it doesn't work, it will at least exclude concern regarding that area.

--john
Old 08-17-2000, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to greenwood Send a message via Yahoo to greenwood
I've been having kinda the same problem...
My left turn signal and e-brake blinker light work fine but my right signal and hazard light switchs are FUBARed. when I use the right signal or hazard light the relay buzzes(which I found out is the relay arching and spitting out blue and orange sparks) and the engine misses.
It was suggested before that there may be corrosion on the signal bulb but unfortunitly this wasn't the case.
I haven't really had time to get too deep in trying to figure it out yet. If you figure yours out let me know....
jeremy
Old 08-18-2000, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Well, problem solved. What a great Saturday afternoon.
The error was having the BK/GR 'blinker power' wire and ground wire swapped at the front Rt. turn signal housing (only thing I had never checked before). I keep swearing some day I'm going to lengthen those three wires that hide just inside the protective rubber boot there so I can see what I'm doing, as opposed to connecting things blind with your arm tucked inside the fender and whispered curses.
So that explains why all the other lights on the car were dimly blinking, power was going straight to ground through pole 31.
As for you Jeremy, sounds like you well may have a swapped wire also, though not necessarily the same as in my case. But do check to make sure the BK/GR is not plugged to pole 31 ground in the front, and for the rear tail light the BK/GR should be plugged into pole 'R'. Only takes a minute to unscrew the four 10mm nuts to slide the full housing out to see the wires. AS for the front, well, takes slightly longer as I've already griped, 10mm from inside the wheelhousing to start. Beats tearing apart the dash at least, so start at the bulbs and work your way back, I wish you luck and patience.
--John
Old 08-18-2000, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thank you soooo much!! You just helped me resolve a problem that has been plaguing me for weeks. Your resolution was my problem too. Every single bulb on my car works now. Proper!

Old 05-04-2012, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: