Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lowering 914 front end

Can anyone provide information on how to lower 1972 914 front end. I currently own a 914 with one side of the front end substantialy lower than the other.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
You jack up (i.e. unload) the front suspension on that side and adjust item 21 CW to raise or CCW to lower it. I would exercize caution here:

It's preferable to set the ride height to the proper specs by having the car aligned by a competent facility; you're affecting the front end's geometry, which opens a whole can 'o worms handling-wise. There might be other issues causing the sagging front end.

Last edited by Rouser; 02-23-2005 at 12:16 PM..
Old 02-23-2005, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
grind weld build

Garage
...and the left to right weight distribution
73 Orange, CS #601
73 Rayco V8 glug, glug
69 911 w/82 turbo look on 275 35 18s (for sale)
Trek 6500+
Sean M!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Is it OK to adjust this screw and then take it to be aligned? Where would the issues arise?

My ride has always been too high in the front, though even from side to side. I need an alignment anyways and was considering this option...
Old 02-23-2005, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
Quote:
Is it OK to adjust this screw and then take it to be aligned?
More often than not you can usually talk to the alignment technician and ask him to align the car with a slightly lower ride height. Usually they're pretty cool about it.

Unless you're running radical suspension and tire sizes (we're talking 914's, right?), you can get a decent ride height (short of a speed bump floorpan bender) and alignment, and achieve that just-right "look."

Old 02-23-2005, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
When you lower the front of a 914 using the torsion bar adjusters, you will pretty much only affect your camber angle. (Caster and toe are affected, as well, but much less.) When you raise the car up, you add more positive camber; when you lower the car, you add more negative camber.

You should be safe to drive to the alignment shop after tweaking the adjusters. I wouldn't want to drive around for a month before the alignment, but you should be fine going to the shop. (Just remember, the car may not have the grip or the balance you're used to, so take it easy!)

You can do a rough alignment by dropping a plumb line off the side of the car, even with the center of the wheel, and measuring how far the top and bottom of the wheel is from the plumb line. Some trig will give you the angle.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 02-23-2005, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Does anyone have a pic of a lowered teener
Old 02-24-2005, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Peter_Hinkle
Here's a pic of my Yellow car. It couldn't be much lower and drive on the street. It already is a speed bump nightmare but it sure corners well with all of the suspension goodies like brand new Bilstiens, Weltmeister torsion bars, 165LB springs, very high performance tires and solid mounts.../peter

1974 Saturn Yellow 914/4 1.8/w BigBore/Webers/MSD
1988 944 Black on Black w/phone dials
Old 02-24-2005, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Another point: When you lower the front end, the angles on the tie-rods change and can cause the steering wheel to jerk when going over bumps. There is a kit that you can buy that actually 'raises: the steering rack about 3/8 inches to correct this problem.

Pelican sell this kit. I beleive it's the Weltmaster Bump Steer Kit and it's fairly innexpensive.

I have lowered my car - slightly. I have found it best to only turn the torsion bar adjusting bolts 1/4 or 1/2 turn. The drive the car and check the height. Do this a few times and don't try to get it perfect the 1st time. If you turn it too much, the car will look fine until you drive it and then you will notice it is too low.

Attached is a picture of my car....................................Vern

'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 02-25-2005, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
One more thing, I didn't notice it mentioned but you have to adjust each side of the car seperately.
'16 BMW R Nine T (the fun one) & '17 BMW G310R
Old 02-25-2005, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Where is the best place to measure the ride height (for each corner) and is there a spec for the nominal/stock height?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There is a spec for how far the lower ball joint (I think) should be below the torsion bar tube--in other words, nothing that is easy and makes sense to most owners.

I tell people to set the car where they like the look of it, and to get it even from side to side. That's probably the most important thing.

Having the A-arms slope down "a little bit" (the outer end a little lower than the inner) when the car is at rest is probably not a bad thing; ditto the rear semi-trailing arms. But that's only going to be important for track junkies most likely. Most folks should just set it up to where they like the looks.

--DD

Old 02-28-2005, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Damn..my 76 kinda slopes the other direction..tail draggin'
66 Red &White Ghia 2liter 914 engine ..restoring it from a californicated custom soon
90 Maroon and Silver Conversion Van ..the shag mobile..family car/camper
94 saturn wagon ..the wifes pos
Old 02-28-2005, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hey, if you like it that way, then it's perfect!!

--DD

Old 03-01-2005, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: