Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
what's needed for installing stock front and rear sway bars on non-optioned cars

Hi, I'm planning to install stock factory front and rear sway bars from a 1975 2.0L 914 in a 1974 1.8L which didn't come optioned with them. Aside from having to cut a hole in the front for the cross bar and making sure the A-arms have the factory tabs for mounting the cross-links what missing parts are needed to install what I have? Any reinforcement brackets at the rear? At the front?
Old 07-24-2005, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I just did mine front and back. If you have access to the ' 75 car you can go the cheap route if interested. I had a ' 73 donor car and didn't buy a thing except some of the bushings. I actually cut out (with a Salzall) the area at the front of the donor car where the bar goes through. Then I used a grinder and took off all excess metal attached to the actual mounting plates. Then I took the plates and put them against my cars inner fenders and marked the wholes. Drill bit for small holes, hole saw for the big one. Then weld them on and bolt everything up.
On the back, I cut out the brackets and was able to clean them up to re-use w/out any problems. These are under the trunk as you know. Just above them in the trunk, you will notice some thin metal plates that sits directly above them on your donor car.(in the trunk) Just measure and make some of these . I opted to use a bit thicker metal when fabricating them. There is also a good tech article on the procedure. Good luck. PM me if you have any ques's. Pete
Old 07-24-2005, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Check the Tech Articles section of this very website; there are procedures (lots of text, and with pictures!) of the process of installing the front and rear sway bars on 914s. They have lists of the parts you need.

BTW, the "no gas tank removal" front sway-bar kits are junk, IMHO. Waaaaaaay too likely to tear out of the fender when you use them. (They're just a couple of U-bolts, anyway.)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-24-2005, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I got a factory orginal kit from stoddards in the 80's they were sitting in the trunk for 23years,Had them put on last year, WOW what a differance,The teener handles flat like a go kart,Go with the factory set up from donor car,A little work to install but worth it...
Old 07-24-2005, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys for the right path. Great tech article.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: