Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

work needed on a 2 litre engine

I am looking at a 1972 914 with a 2 litre engine.The vendor has told me it needs a fuel pump,engine mounts and oil return tube seals.Are these items expensive and/or difficult to fit?
Thanks in advance Geoff.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

IF, that is all that it needs it's pretty easy. You can probably find a good used fuel pump for under 100 bucks. If it's the rubber engine mounts, they are about 25 bucks each and a set of Viton push rod tube seals is under 20 bucks.

All of these things can be replaced with the motor in the car and can be done in an afternoon.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
In 914s, the fuel pump is separate from the engine. If it is being discussed as a part of the engine, the engine may be from a carbureted VW application (e.g., 411 or Bus). It may not have the 914 dipstick and oil filler setup, as some of the VWs had the oil filler going to the rear (front in a 914 application) of the engine and not to the top like in our cars.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-18-2006, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Heelo again Geoff,

Since you are in OZ........

I suggest you start using the search function on this web site and the www.914club.com web sites.

There is more data at both these web sites than you can read in a year.... And read everything DD has written.

AND:

You are asking great questions.

Yet I am in fear you might possibly buy a car/engine that has more unkown property's than you think...

Don't mind me.. I am just a little paranoid....

I just want to see ya win.. thats all......

If the car only needs a fuel pump to get running..

And you can talk the existing owner into this....

You can hook up ANY FI fuel pump to it that has about the right pressure and have him start the engine for you. Doesn't matter if it leaks or runs a bit off...

At least you will have a better chance of NOT buying a car that you will have to immediatly rebuild the engine on...

And you will find out if the trans works..

A rebilt trans.. CAN cost the same amount of a CHEAP engine rebuild.

Beware... I just don't want to see ya buying a CORE car...

Unless of course.. it's dirt cheap.. And ya know what you are getting into........

If thats the case.... BUY IT... I would... the worst case scenario is that you have an extra parts car.

If not.. I would consider the engine and trans a core.

And price the rest of the car on it's known merits.

As always.. In my non humble opinion.

Regards,
Clayton

Last edited by Twystd1; 04-19-2006 at 01:29 AM..
Old 04-19-2006, 01:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Well, if you need a pump I have a good one for FI and also I believe a brand new one for Carbs. Let me know. as always Cheap prices but no idea on shipping.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: