Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to BigDBass Send a message via Yahoo to BigDBass
Nasty brake sound on front right

Spent a good chunk of yesterday scrubbing my wheels, taking off the chromed plastic PORSC E off the grill, scrubbing the grill, and installing some nicely polished silver metal PORSCHE letters courtesy of our man Chappy.

Drove over to my mom's today to give her a ride in the 914. Ended up turning around sooner than planned when I heard and felt a crunching/grinding sound coming from the front right wheel. Upon releasing brakes, something still seemed to rub a little bit until moving 2 or 3 feet, then stopped until applying brakes again.

I headed home, and to some degree the crunchy grinding noise/feeling faded substantially, except for the last moments of coming to a complete halt, when it occured briefly.

So, pelicans, where do I start looking?
Old 05-14-2006, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Check your wheel bearings.
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

broken pad material? it's happened.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sticking too!

M

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1136350347.jpg
Old 05-14-2006, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by messix
broken pad material? it's happened.

Sounds like text book brake failure. before the roter is mangled

I would sudjest you remove the wheel and confirm this. Replace

pads on both sides.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Had the same thing happen to mine on a fun-run last year.

Left rear outside pad came apart.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks all.
I'll take a look after work today.
Any particular front pads I should be looking for for street use? Can I get 'em at FLAPS?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
JW Apostate

I'm going to say if the brakes still feel right, you have a pebble/small stone stuck between the dust shield and the rotor.

It's happened to me many times. Usually clears itself. The last one did not, so I had to tug on the edge of the dust shield while turning the wheel until it fell out.

It was the worst brake noise I've ever heard.

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
'73 914
Old 05-15-2006, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Most FLAPS won't have good brake pads for our cars. At least, not judging by my experience quite a few years ago. The regular stock-type pads are fine for normal street use. I personally don't have a preference between Jurid and Pagid, though I've never tried Textar or Mintex.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/9144/POR_9144_BRKpad_pg1.htm#item2

I now have the (once PBR, then Axxis, now ???) Metal Master pads on my car, and feel that they are quite good for street use. It takes a good bit of effort to get them to grab, but they will haul the car down from speed if you lay on the pedal enough. (I'm thinking of "downgrading" to a 17mm MC to get less pedal effort.)
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/9144/POR_9144_UP9144_pg5.htm#item32

Porterfield's R4S (I think it was) pads--their "street" pads--are really great at scrubbing off the speed. I am told they will wear rotors somewhat quickly unless they get hot, where they really "like" to work, and they can squeal and that they do make dust. But they hold up to high temps very well, and they really work. They are more of an autoX and/or light track day type pad, it seems to me. I know people who use them on the street and like them, though.

Most "racing pads" are not suitable for street use, because they have to get hot to have much grip at all. Hotter than you would see in anything like normal street driving--and having brakes with no grip is not a good thing, as you can imagine.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-15-2006, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Acox914
I vote the porterfield R4S. great street/AX pad.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by trekkor
I'm going to say if the brakes still feel right, you have a pebble/small stone stuck between the dust shield and the rotor.

It's happened to me many times. Usually clears itself. The last one did not, so I had to tug on the edge of the dust shield while turning the wheel until it fell out.

It was the worst brake noise I've ever heard.

KT
I agree with Trekkor. I have had it happen a few times while AXing & driving. Usually backing up seems to help remove the stuck rock. Pull the wheel and look between the dust shield & rotor.
1973 914 2.7 /4 Flared Beast - INR SCCA #45 SSM
Old 05-15-2006, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Man, I hope Trekkor and Garold have the right diagnosis. I was hoping to show off the ride at our baby shower this Saturday, but there's no way I can get the parts and do my first brake work by then. I can definately feel whatever it is in my foot through the pedal. 5.5 hours 'til jackstand time.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

PMB Performance

Garage
I'm with Rich... how far was it to Mom's house?
www.pmbperformance.com
Old 05-15-2006, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Probably put on about 5 miles during/after the ugliness.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Clayton found a very little bit of play in the front left wheel bearings. He didn't seem too concerned, but that it was there. I don't recall the front right having been checked.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
PMB Performance

Garage
At this point the bearing play can be deceiving. I had one go just like what you're describing (at the 98 historics). I too thought it was a rock behind the shield (camping at the track) because I checked for bearing play and there was none. Once the bearing goes, all hell breaks loose in there and it can actually tighten up and bind on the outer race (my guess as to what you're hearing).

Bearings or brake pad. If you can feel it through the pedal it may be a pad. It could be a broken pad spring wedged in there as well...
www.pmbperformance.com
Old 05-15-2006, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

stuff wasn't supposed to start breaking this soon.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

You could have a cheap set of pads on one side in an hour. I repeat

cheap pads(Pepboys). After the shower you can put in a good set on both sides and turn the rotors.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited by So.Cal.914; 05-15-2006 at 10:30 AM..
Old 05-15-2006, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Dan,

Keep us posted. If the brakes check out and it is the bearing, I have a set, as well as all the other stuff you need. Easy job with the right tools. Another excuse for a ride on Saturday. BTW, you're right, we didn't check the other wheel.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

On a 4-cylinder 914 the bearings mount in the rotor. If you find that you need new bearings, it might be a good time to change out your front rotors if they have a lot of mileage.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: