Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Ex 009 User Speaks Out

Finaly did it, replaced the 009 that the PO installed with the stock distributor (205A). 74 2.0, 96mm P&C's, Cam, 40 IDF's and electronic ignition. Will probably have to reset the idle a bit, but idle and acceleration are much smoother, and less popping at cruise. Significant improvement... Set timing to the mark before I opened the vacuum port on the carbs and hooked up the vacuum line. Thanks for the info.
Harvey
Old 05-11-2001, 06:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Currently a happy 050 user, after replacing the 009 from the PO. I have considered going to Vacuum Advance perhaps of the stock type. Just wanted to know where you connected the vacuum tube with IDF's?

What electronic ignition are you running? What benefits?

K-
Old 05-12-2001, 07:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The general opinion is that any Type 4 distributor, most distributors from the 356 series cars, and the 050 are all superior to the 009. Don't know what particular iteration of the 40 IDF's I've got (PO installed) but there is a brass tube with a screw-in plug right next to the idle mixture adjustment screw. I took out the plug, it is the same diameter as the tube, with just a common screwdriver slot, and blends pretty well with the tube so I wasn't sure it came out until I tried. Checked it out with a vacuum gauge. Readings were: comming off the peg at about 1300 RPM, 5" Hg Vac at 3000 RPM, and about 6" at 4000.
I'm running the Pertronix as a point replacement unit, the Crane HI-6 CD, and MSD 8mm wires. Had to use the Crane inductive Tach adapter to get the tach wo work after I put in the CD box.
Harvey

[This message has been edited by HarveyH (edited 05-13-2001).]
Old 05-13-2001, 05:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I like anything better than a 009..The 050 is mean, and works well, the vacuum advance is actually even better..
Old 05-13-2001, 08:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I am wondering if this will work properly. If it does then I'm putting a 205 on my engine!

The stock distributor uses ported vacuum, above the throttle plate signal, does it not? Whereas the port on your weber is manifold vacuum. I thought that is the whole reason they started selling the 010 and 009, because dual carbs didn't have the right vacuum source.

If I can just hook up to that port then I'm all for it!

Steve Arndt

[This message has been edited by vw@micron.net (edited 05-16-2001).]
Old 05-16-2001, 08:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

This seems to be a ported vacuum source rather than manifold vacuum. The port is at the same level as the idle mixture adjustment screw, just slightly above the closed throttle plate. I've read somewhere that over the last 8-10 years or so, and probably even before, a lot of the Weber lines have had vacuum ports.
Harvey
Old 05-16-2001, 04:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs down

I lost a fairly nice motor due to the PO installing a 009 on it. It was a 1.7 with a big bore kit, hot cam and webers. He spent a ton on having everything balanced and ported but the advance curve it needed was not available on that pos distributor. I was new to the aircooled thing and heck, everybody under the sun sells the 009 as a "performance upgrade" and some idiot who crowned himself Dr. 914 told me it was "a neccisity when installing carbs" - what crap. The car would never run right and eventually dropped a valve seat. I now run a mildly built 2.0 (euro p&c's, carb cam, and dual 44's) using the factory vaccume advance 2.0 distibutor drawing it's vaccume source from the passenger side carb. Runs smooth as can be. I then installed a comp-u-fire points replacement and recently an MSD 6AL. It's wonderful. Throw the 009 in the garbage - or throw it at "The Doctor" - unless of course it is the "last" 009 made, then sell it for 10 times what it's worth on ebay...
Scott S

[This message has been edited by Scott Schroeder (edited 05-16-2001).]
Old 05-16-2001, 05:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: