Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Finally My 1.7 build (HELP)

I am finally getting ready to build my 73 carb'ed 914 YAY for me.Been waiting 20 years..
Im using the original 1.7 case..
I have a set of new 104 pistons and juggs..
I have a stock 2.0 crank and rods..
A new set of empi dual carbs..
I am going to port and polish the original 1.7 heads and have them flycut
to fit the 104 juggs..
Does anyone have an opinion on this good or bad feel free to set me straight

Troy
Old 12-04-2007, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Current theory says that bores that large are not required for anything short of... Well, bragging rights! There are also quite a few people who feel that going larger than 96es without spending $$$$$ for nikasil-plated aluminum cylinders is a waste of money.

96x78 or so is a very popular engine these days (look around for "2270"). With a good configuration, some of those engines are pushing 200 HP on pump gas. Evidently with a very nice torque curve and daily-driver type reliability.

It ain't cheap, though!

Spend a while reading up on places like the "Type 4um" over at http://www.shoptalkforums.com . Look through http://www.aircooledtechnology.com as well, but hold onto your wallet!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-04-2007, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply,My wife bought me all these parts minus the crank and rods.
I guess my big question is, will all these parts run together in harmony or will I have clearance issues or case issues..

Thx again
Troy
Old 12-05-2007, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Wow, pretty cool wife :-) See if you can talk her into a set of nikkies to make it last!

I am pretty sure you'll have to bore the case and heads to allow for the larger cyls, but the rest of the stuff should work with no clearancing.

If you're going carbs, you might put in a carb cam to make it work a little better, especially with the 1.7 heads. I would think you need the valves open longer to move stuff in and out of the cylinders.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sorry I didnt state this in the initial post..
I have a 00-152 new webcam and lifters I stole off Ebay for a song.
.423 lift .270 duration.
Also Im told I should use the original rocker configuration.
And yes my wife Rocks..

Thx Gang
I appreciate all the input.
PS.. I just finished building her a 78 spider convertable 160 bhp
Old 12-05-2007, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troycom View Post
Sorry I didnt state this in the initial post..

PS.. I just finished building her a 78 spider convertable 160 bhp
I never thought of tricking out my wife's car so she'd let me trick out mine. Nice move.

Spoke
Old 12-19-2007, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thats the easiest way to get what I want, is to do it for her first
hers is done so now soon as the weather gets a little warmer my 914 will be built..
Old 12-20-2007, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: