Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Testing 914 Decel valve & FP Regulator?

How can you test the Deacceleration valve and the Fuel Pressure Regulator to see if they are operational and can they be cleaned if clogged? My fuel lines and injectors were clogged with varnish after sitting 20 years...what about these 2 inline items? Thanks for the info!
Old 12-28-2007, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

the deacceleration valve doesn't have fuel in it so it should be ok from fuel varnish. Car will run without this anyway.

I have used Acetone to soak varnished lines and parts with good success. It attacks the varnish and dilutes. But I don't think i'd use it on your plastic lines, if there are still there (probably are) . I hope you're not looking at getting 4 new injectors and a new fuel pump

The question is, what made the owner park it in the first place? Something must be wrong with it somewhere.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

why??

Got it from a wrecking yard and rebuilding - saving. Everything was varnished up. Replaced all the lines, tank etc. Flushed out the fuel pump with carb cleaner, but havn't tested it yet. What about the fuel pressure regulator? It's on the return side of the injecotrs (all bad and had to be replaced). Think I should spray that with carb cleaner in the inlets, or omething like that? If I hook up a pressure testor on either side - before the regulator or after the regulator - what should the pressure read? Thanks
Old 12-28-2007, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Before the regulator, pressure on a D-jet system (1.7, 2.0) should be 29 PSI or 2 Bar at any time the fuel pump is running. The L-jet (1.8) system will be referenced to manifold vacuum, and I don't recall the exact spec for when the vacc hose is disconnected.

The decel valve is best tested on the car, with the engine running. There will be a hose from the air cleaner (or from upstream of the throttle body, on a 1.8) to the DV. Pull that hose off the DV, and check it for vacuum. (With a 1.8, you should plug the hole the hose was plugged into so the car still runs decently.) Rev the engine up to 3500 RPM, then let the throttle snap closed. The DV should open up and air should get sucked into the hose briefly.

The DV is not a critical part to the operation of the engine, so if need be you can plug the hoses that would go to it and do without. As usual, though, it is better to have all of the parts...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-28-2007, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: