Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 2.0 Pollution problem

Hello

I am a French user of an U.S. model 914 2.0 L

Unfortunately my MOT comes out in May and my pollution is awful.
No more Cold start injector, no injector leak, good fuel pressure, new Triad exhaust.
Action on the button on the ECU makes nothing.
But the motor start and run well !
I have no idea about this problem, perhaps fuel injectors don't spray very well ???
have you an idea,
Thanks for your help.

Sorry for my awful english language... I am best in french.

Yves from Lille (North of France)

Last edited by Frenchyves; 04-13-2009 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: I miss some words
Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
What do you mean when you say the pollution is awful?

I also had trouble with the mixture control on the ECU not working. It turned out the switch was broken. The quickest fix was to install an ECU from another car, since they're not expensive.
2000 Silverado
2011 Golf
Old 04-13-2009, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

This is sort of the reverse of what we used to call "grey market" cars or ones from europe that came into America and were never correctly setup for the smog (your MOT) testing and then they finally get caught. The cars I have seen that required major work were required to have a catalytic converter installed plus any smog equipment that would also be from the car's original year of manufacture. I would suggest finding a shop that knows Porsches and has deal with American sold cars before and how to convert them to get them to pass your emissions test.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I want to say that the CO value is not good.
I don't know how much because I have no result but I think the value is more than 4 (under 1.5 for good result).

In my workshop, I have no tool to control this CO, I don't think that a lot of person have one....
I don't know what to do, But I am going to see the switch on my ECU in a first time.

Thanks for your help.

Yves
Old 04-13-2009, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I believe that the specification for the correct amount of CO in the exhaust of the 1973-1974 2.0 engines is 3.0%. The 75-76 914s had more pollution control equipment on them (particularly the California-emissions models which had catalytic converters on them) and the specification for them was less.

Read through Brad Anders' D-jetronic website. That site contains almost everything that anyone knows about D-jetronic fuel injection.
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-13-2009, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Horrible, yesterday I test my CO exhaust in a little garage near of my house...

Result 8.2 ...

so last night I look everything on my injection and I unseal the manifold pressure sensor just to turn the 2 screws. I know that it is seal in factory, but I have no other solution.
So, now, I am going again to test and unscrew inner screw...
Results today for you and me.

Have a good week end.
Here in France weather not very nice ; lot of clouds, grey sky and low temp (10 C)

Yves -- Lille France
Old 04-17-2009, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Pollution OK now

Wonderful,

This morning I went to a Technical Control Center (We call that in France) So I must use their Pollution control tools.
I turn clockwise the inner screw in the Manifold Pressure Sensor and I saw my exhaust gazes OK !! about 1,5 turn in clokwise and all is all right.
Now I have 1.2 CO before it was 8 and more...

I drive to see if all is OK, Temp in use, start with hot motor temp, speed...

Have a nice week.

Sorry for my awful English language, I am best in French.

Yves.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: