Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

First timer needing Brake/wheel help

Hello This is my first post to pelican and i really hope someone can help me.I am 20 years old and somewhat mechanically inclined. I have a 73' 914 1.7 it is a fantastic car (for the most part). i am mid way through a full restoration (motor and body) and in need of some help. i have the typical 4 lug set up front and rear and would like to keep it that way to retain the Fuchs 2.0 i have.
i would like some more stopping power and better feel from my brakes. i am wanting to go with 19mm master cylinder, 986(boxster) calipers Front and rear, and vented rotors to accommodate the calipers. i have the adapter blocks to actually mount the calipers, and the master cylinder is easily bolted into place. but what i don't have is a way to mount the new rotors on the front. please correct me if i am wrong but i think the stock rotors acted as a housing for 2 wheel bearings. i have taken the rotor off and verified this. the new rotors i want do not have this center housing that i believe is called the hub. will this (pictured) solve my problem and if not can someone please shine some light on my complicated situation also advice on what rotors to use would be nice (i know i will have to drill my bolt pattern into them)

here are the calipers and adapters

and the calipers again
Old 11-10-2009, 04:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Why? Unless you are upgrading the HP (I didn't see you mention it) the Boxster brakes will be Overkill. How will you upgrade the rears? E-Brake?

I don't have a direct answer but I imagine some out here have tried such an upgrade.

As long as your current brakes have the ability to LOCK UP the wheels, bigger (heavier) rotors and calipers aren't going to help you.

If you are upgrading to enough power to warrant the Boxster brakes, then please tell me you are doing upgrades to suspension as well? And it that's true, convert over to 911 front suspension as well.
1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
brakes, caliper, help!!!, rotor, wheel