Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question F.I. Problems

I had my 73 914 1.7L running and pulled the heater lever and it died. It has spark and occasionally will sputter like it wants to start but wont. The fuses look o.k. and I can here the relays click. I checked power at the pump and do not get power there. Does any body have any ideas?
Old 03-08-2002, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

No better place to start than this:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm

Brad Anders is the 914 DJet FI Supreme Master.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Fuse. Check both fuses on the relay board--I believe that one of them powers both the fuel pump and the heater blower. The blower may have shorted, which will pop the fuse when you turn it on.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-09-2002, 12:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
Dave's right, sounds like the 25A fuse on the relay board. If that doesn't find the cause of the pump problem, try my fuel pump diagnostic flow charts at my web site.
Old 03-09-2002, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Mine car is doing the same thing right now. I unplugged the heater blower and replaced the fuse (25A) at the relay board. Nothing worse than driving in rush hour traffic and when you pull on the heat lever the car dies! Just what I need, another weekend project!
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 03-09-2002, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Mine won't star again. It was running rich & fixed that. My intake mainfold hoses were stretched & sucking air big time. New hoses started great for a minute & then died. It was dying every once in a while before. Just cutting out & after pumping gas for a second it come back on (while driving). Know it isn't staring at all. Checked my fuel pressure & it isn't getting any. I just figured my fuel pump went out. What are the other possibilities? Thanks in advance
Old 03-10-2002, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
General principle: Get it to where it fails, then figure out where the failure is.

Info you'll need to find it:
Brad Anders' D-jet fuel pump troubleshooting flowchart, found on his page at http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders

or

Bill Williams' D-jet fuel pump control system troubleshooting article on Tim's Fan Page: http://www.914fan.net/fuelpump.html

Brad's is a flowchart, Bill's is lots of text. I suggest looking through both; it can be very helpful to have information presented two different ways.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-10-2002, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: