Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face Engine Start Troubles Please Help

I have a 1975 2.0 that I purchased as a rolling chassis with the motor, tranny and assorted parts all in boxes. I have since rebuilt the motor and bolted it all together. I went to start it for the fist time and it cranked but it wouldn't fire. I have spark and compression. My compression test consisted of feeling air moving out of the exhaust. While cranking I can smell fuel. It doesn't smell quite like exhaust, and it doesn't smell like straight fuel but it smells like something in between the two. I've been searching around for a solution but have come up empty handed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I can also take pictures of things if that would help.

Thanks,

Levi`````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````
Old 06-29-2013, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

We need a few more details such as ignition system type, fuel system type, etc and then we can offer some things to check.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply. How do I check for ignition system type? It is fuel injected, is that what you mean by fuel system type?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ignition system... is it the stock distributor with points, Pertronix/Compu-fire, etc...
Which will lead to the next question, how is the timing and points gap (if installed)
Old 06-30-2013, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Stock Ignition, and the timing is set at the marks on #1 TDC
Old 06-30-2013, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I would suggest several things and some additional info:
- carbs or FI?
- If FI then go through Brad's check and troubleshooting list.
- If carbs, what is fuel pressure and float settings?
- What is points gap or dwell setting?
- What are valve clearances?
- Do a proper compression test, while doing it on a cold engine is not the best it will show what the cylinders are doing.
- Try a shot of starting fluid to see if it coughs or backfires after the above items.

Let us know the results of the above questions.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I haven't had the time to do much but I tried starting fluid in the intake and it made a cough here and there. I did notice that the heat exchangers (The exhaust is not installed yet) are sucking air in and light white smoke is consistently coming out of one of the pipes. What could this be an indication of?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

White smoke coughing or rolling out of the exhaust equals engine is flooded. Check out the link below and go through your F.I set up thoroughly.

D-Jet Info
Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
fuel , fuel injection , starter , starting problems 914