Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Talking How I fixed my distrib and vac problem!

If your 914-4 FI is not idleing well, or cuts / surges while driving like mine did, here's the 1 hour solution I did.
#1Go through all rubber hoses (vacuum hoses) and replace if loose to connection or "original '74!!!," insure that the hose is suppling a good seal.
#2. It may seem like a or-deal but it was very quite simple. Disconnect the distributor cap, exposing the distributor. Disconnect 2 hoses from vacuum unit on distrib., and disconnect the 2 wire connections to the distrib.
Unscrew the 2 small screws that hold on the vac. unit, unclip vac. arm inside/ on top of distrib. And pull off vac. unit.
Now you can see the one bolt that holds the distrib. in place. Unscrew and remove distrib.
Now you can sit down in the A/C and slowly take apart and clean all dirt and grease off. This doesn't take long there are only a few screws and parts that come off. Be careful not to break anything. I had a lot of build up on the small bearing. & make sure the rotating main big bolt part and the contact unit are close to cause it to push the contact together and then release as you rotate it be hand.
Then reverse the process and put everything back.
Note there should be not gap between the vacuum unit and the distrib. I had to bend the vac. flanges to make it flush with the distrib.
Hope this helps!!!
Jay
Old 08-04-2002, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: