Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

HELP: How do I reinstall and align the headlight assemblies

I thought it would be in the shop manuals, but they are mute on the subject. I had completely removed the headlight units in preparation for paint. Now it's time to reinstall. It looks straightforward, but I'm no longer sure whether the motors are in the up/down/or intermediate position, nor do I know if the eyebrows go in first or last.

Does anyone know where I can find the assembly procedure? I don't want to jeapordize the parts or the new paint doing it wrong.

Thanks for the assist.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

I don't know about a complete assembly proceedure to be found anywhere, but I believe I would put the painted cover on the headlamp sub-assembly and install together with the socket head screws. It helps to have the turn signal lamps out at the time. Then connect motor. You ought to be able to see how the motor installs once the cover and sub-assemblys are in. Also, I think you should install the actuating arm before dropping the assembly into the well. You should be able to install the lamp, ring and shroud from the outside once everything else is in place and in the up position.

Hope that will get you started. Tape soft towels aroud the area to prevent scratches. Don't be afraid to do it twice. A lot of things get done twice.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've got a question regarding adjustment of the lids. When my lights are down, the leading edge of the lids are not flush with the hood/eyebrow thing whatever. How do you adjust these up so they are flush?
Old 09-26-2002, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Excellent question jdogg! I've been meaning to ask that myself. Thanks.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 09-26-2002, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I went through this myself a couple weeks ago when replacing a simple headlight snowballed into a major fiasco. There were several (I think three?) older threads here on just this, two I believe were pretty good. Anyway, out of the 914 Tech Tips 700 book, "[t]he headlamp steel housing cover can be made to better fit the hood/fender/eyebrow by adjusting the outboard two hole pivot pin and the inboard three hole pivot pin. This adjusts the assembly cover's height and squareness."

The happy news is that it is easy, ten minutes tops. One word to the wise, keep the plastic cover on the linkage off and pull the relay since you will, at some point rotate the linkage (on purpose or not) and the motor will take off unexpectedly even with the ignition off. It is fast, it is strong and the housing is sharp! Just pop the relay in as you try out the fit and remember to remove it if you go back.

Now who wants to figure out why I don't have brights...
Old 09-26-2002, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Got them in!

Thanks for the help. I was able to get them in and aligned today. I noted the other posts asking for help also. One thing I learned today is that there seems to be 4 adjustments: Outer 2 bolts, inner 3 bolts, which notch the cantilever is in when attached to the motor, and the motor itself.

I used the inner and outer bolts to fit rear height and squareness in the cutout. The height of the front was course adjusted by selecting the right position on the motor drive. The final front height adjustment was made by loostening the 3 motor mount bolts and turning the motor. If your lamp is down, you will see the front of the cover move up and down about 5 mm.

Hope this explanation helps someone else...
Old 09-26-2002, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: