Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Limited Edition and CAN-AM, exactly the same or different??

Are these interchangable?

Any documentation on either car such as factory sales literature?
Old 09-26-2002, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
They are one and the same. Originally, Porsche had planned on releasing the cars as Can-Am to commemorate Porsche's dominance in the Can-Am series in the preceeding years. However, their falling-out with the sanctioning body caused Porsche to re-brand the cars as Limited Edition.

I've seen CoAs that list the cars as Can-Am, Limited Edition or both.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

They are the same. I have some documentation Mike, its too lenthy to post I'll bring it saturday for you.

As I understand it, it wasn't a falling out as much as it was a rule change which required fuel usage restrictions due to the 1973 oil crisi and Porsche did'nt want the restriction, so it didn't participate in 1974.

Last edited by bowlsby; 09-26-2002 at 10:54 AM..
Old 09-26-2002, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yup. The SCCA got tired of handing the trophy to Donohue the instant he showed up, so they changed the rules and (more or less) banned the 917 outright. Or rather, dumped such heavy restrictions on them that Porsche told them to stuff it.

The 74 Can-Am season was cut rather short, because with the Turbo Panzers gone, nobody showed up to watch. ... Well, the whole gas crisis thing may have had a bit to do with it, too.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-26-2002, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hey Jeff,

I found this info on enthusiastcars.com (Kevin Foust) after doing a search on google:

"In 1974, Porsche created a "Special Edition" or "Can-Am" version of the 2.0L 914. This car had all of the "regular" options, above, with one or two differences. There were three choices of paint scheme--white with orange trim, white with green trim, or black with yellow trim. A different front spoiler was added below the front bumper. Specially painted alloy wheels were used, with accents matched to the trim color of the car. They had bumpers painted the trim color instead of chrome or black, as on the other 74 914s. They did not have the vinyl rollbar trim, but did come with the center console, leather shift boot, leather steering wheel, dual horns, and the swaybars and Bilstein shocks which were optional on the other 914s. These cars are less common than other 914/4s, and are somewhat more valua- ble as a result"

Mike
Old 09-26-2002, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: