Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Please name the part and do i need it?

Can someone please let me know what's in the picture? It feels like it is not connected to anything. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
To me that looks like a bracket meant to hold your clutch tube in place. I'm not sure if that's stock or if that was someone's repair. How's your shifting right now?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Its name is now Eric.

Yes, it's the bracket for the clutch tube. And you do need it to hold the clutch tube in place. If it's not firmly held in place, you'll be grinding your gears. A lot.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-23-2014, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I was having a hard time getting into 2nd gear. It must have got dislodged when i was driving in a massive traffic on the way home a couple of weeks ago.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, then you better get that repaired pretty quickly. If you are able to actually shift now it's only because the clutch tube is held in place at the firewall and/or one other weld point. As more stress is put on those, they'll give way and you will lose clutch. This happended to me about two months ago. I noticed a subtle difference in clutch action and then one day "pop" it gave way at the firewall. Not good.

Search this site and 914 World on Clutch Tube Repair.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks beatnavy.

I just had an AHA moment...I was driving a couple months ago and suddenly "pop!"....my clutch cable snapped.

I'll definitely park the car and get the clutch tube repaired and hopefully very soon.

This is bad timing! I just bought some 2.0 heat exchanger and muffler to back date my exhaust - i have 1975.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Find a shop that has done the repair properly before. Don't let someone foll you into using clamps, smoke, and mirrors. While clamps may seem like they work, in the long run they're just not gonna hold up. Weld in the front, weld in the middle, and weld/reinforce at the firewall.

The Cap'n
Old 07-24-2014, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Don't imagine this would be an easy repair,in this case it appears the tube bracket has torn and there is still a piece tacked (spotwelded?) inside the tunnel.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I just saw some trends on the world and wow

back to the car park once more!

You know, once they are in that area, they can also replace the fuel lines and while the engine is out...

I better start saving or learn how to weld
Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: