Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Door Keys v. Ignition Keys in the 6

The ignition key in my 914-6 apparently is asymetrical. Teeth on one side of the key are different from teeth on the other side of the key. The key is a Porsche key with a Porsche handle. Usually keys are supposed to be symetrical so that you can insert the key in the lock any way you want.

So my ignition key is asymetrical and the door locks requrire a symetrical key. I pulled the door locks hoping to cut a single key. But the weird ignition key is causing some problems in getting a single universal key cut for the whole car. I may have to pull the ignition to get it rekeyed but this seems like a huge hassle and I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Anybody familiar with this issue? Is this a known problem or should my ignition key be symetrical? Any suggested solutions that do not involve pulling the ignition? If I have to pull the ignition what would be the easiest way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Douglas
Old 11-13-2002, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have an original 914-6 and have only one key for the ignition and doors. The key appears to have the same cut on both sides. That's the way it came so I don't have any advise to make yours that way.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Door v. ignition key/cylinder

Douglas,
My keys are symmetrical, works either way for both the ignition switch, doors, trunks, and glove box. I haven't had this problem, sorry I can't help. Are you having the problem with both the master and valet keys (black/red handles)?
Old 11-14-2002, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Douglas,

First, all the P keys I've run across were symetrical. (that doesn't mean all that much -- 3 914's and a 911)

Next, I've got access to keys to two factory /6's. In both cases, the keys are symetrical. (valet, owner, etc) I'm assuming your door keys won't work in the ignition.

I had keys for a /4 that would only work one way. I assumed it was because they were copied one too many times and had introduced enough "error" in the key to make it unacceptable to the tumbler.

I've also, in the rekeying of door locks, seen just enough wear on the inside of the sleeve that made a difference as well. (I've not taken apart a /6 ignition key, but I'm assuming they are similar) In that case, changing things inside the lock didn't necessarily mean that the desired key would work. The key actually depended on the wear that was present in the sleeve. 30 year old cars....

So I'm guessing this post won't actually help you find a quick fix. You may be stuck with pulling the ignition key and figuring out why it is not playing nicely...

hth.

krk.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Ditto on the symetrical
Old 11-14-2002, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Mine is symetrical also. As is every Porsche key I've seen.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-14-2002, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

KRK's theory is absolutely right. Got the key back from the locksmith and it is pretty clear that the key was copied from a pretty badly worn original. The result makes the new key look asymetrical but still work fine either way in the ignition lock (because the lock and the key have worn at an equal rate). Looks like I will have to pull the ignition and freshly rekey all locks with fresh tumblers and new keys.

Now to my previous question. Pulling the dash to get to the ignition. It is a small hassle I gather.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Douglas
Old 11-15-2002, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: