Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Can't figure out---dist. alignment

My confusion is---everything I've read seems to indicate TDC #1,
rotor should be pointing at about the 1-2 o'clock position, (arrow w/? in photo)
yet, where it's actually pointing, (in the photo) approx. 4 - 5 o'clock position is
TDC for #1. It only locks in one way, right?

As indicated by the '0' on the fan (other photo) and not shown, the big notch I can see
on the fly wheel that aligns with the center of the case halves. And, I can see in the spark plug hole that the piston for #1 is TDC, and valves are both closed.

I have engine out of the car, chasing a small oil leak, and to adjust valves and figured I'd double check dist. while easy to get to. It's a carb engine and was running o.k., with less than 1,000 mi. on rebuild and I'm still getting it sorted and dialed in. Had it timed for full adv. at 3200 rpm.

I've got three different distributors and they all line up rotor wise, same position for #1.

Thanks for any ideas.

p2
Old 08-04-2015, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What distributor do you have? It is not always the same rotor orientation. With the fan at TDC is the rotor pointing to the #1 plus wire on the cap? The distributor gear can be re-clocked to get it into the adjustable range. I swapped from a 009 to a stock FI distributor and found this out.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
have you checked # 1 piston is at tdc,looks like you are 1 cyl out.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah, TDC on #1

I can see #1's piston is at TDC thru spark plug hole, after watching intake valve close, and before exhaust opens.

So, I should just take pin out of the distributor drive, rotate the shaft 180 deg. and good to go? (see photo)

Love when it's a simple fix.

Thanks,

p2
Old 08-05-2015, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you rotate it 180 degrees, you'll still be 90 off.

The way to fix this would be to pull the distributor driveshaft out, re-clock it, then re-install. Be very careful of the washer on the bottom of the driveshaft; if you let it fall into the engine you will be very unhappy.

I'm not sure it makes much difference where exactly the #1 TDC position is, though. As long as nothing on the distributor fouls on any of the surrounding bits (the stock distributor's vacuum dashpot can hit the oil filler tower or the intake plenum) and you have the plug wires in the right place relative to that #3 position, it shouldn't matter.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-05-2015, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks Dave, that would explain

Why it was running o.k. As usual, just making work for myself.

Had a suspicion it didn't really matter as long as firing order was correct.

Thanks,

p2
Old 08-05-2015, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Pulling the drive is too scary for me anyway,ask me how I know????,no I didn't drop a shim but very close.
The OP has established #1 @ TDC and checked the valves so all is well,as DD pointed out turn the dizzy until you have your mark lined up and bingo you should be there,if something otherwise wrong it won't run.

Report back.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: