Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How Do I Remove My 914-6 Ignition?

PP is sold out of the factory shop manual and Porsche is discontinuing it even if I wanted to spend $300 +. The Haynes manual fails to discuss the 914-6 at all. Unlike the 914-4, my ignition is stuck in my dash so Haynes is no help whatsoever (I think it is kind of a weak manual to begin with). So my question.

How do I remove the ignition. Am I forced to remove the steering wheel? The dash? I hope not. What a hassle.

Any help is appreciated.

Douglas
Old 11-18-2002, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I haven't looked in it in a while, but the Lash (same as Clymer) manual does have some 914-6 specific stuff in it. Not sure if it has ignition switch stuff, though.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-18-2002, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Wouldn't be the same as early 911? Same column, key is in the same place.
You would have to remove the lower dash pad. 2 screws on either side and 5 or 6 along the bottom. Then borrow a 911 book and check it out.
good luck,
Mike D.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just did this on an early 911.You will need to unscreww the collar that surrounds the switch (front on dsh). It needs no tools. Then you will see what looks to be two rivvets holding the switch in place. They are realy a type of screw that is designed to have the heads break off. I took a dremel and put a slot in each then used a screwdriver to get them out. No prob. Ther is then one screw tword the steering column that is a ***** to get at. It holdt the locking mechanism shaft to the steering column. Remove this screw any way you can and the thing should just pop out. I used needle nosedf vice grips. The plug will just come off of the back.
Good luck,
Mike
-74 BMW R90
Old 11-18-2002, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Smile

95125, you are absolutely right. Looks just like the 911 set up. My 1984 + Carerra manual covers this procedure. Evidently Porsche has not changed the ignition switch design in nearly two decades.

Thanks for the response.

Douglas
Old 11-22-2002, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Charlie White has some reprints check out his site:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/DerWhite/Derwhites356LiteraturePage.htm

his specialty is 356 but I believe he has the 914 and 914/6 manuals

Kelly
Old 11-22-2002, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mike Ginter

Despite the fact that my set of factory manuals purchased a few months ago don't include a wiring diagram for ANY 914/6 (why is that BTW?), it is one of the best references you will find Douglas. I know it's a lotta change, but...

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-23-2002, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks echocanyons. I've tried derwhite already but he is out fo the 914 factory manual. PP is out. The Porsche dealership says the manuals are out of print. Mike, I would probably buy one if I could find one.

But the good news is that I pulled the ignition switch using just the 1984-89 Carerra manual. I'm going to continue a tangent of this discussion under "Stupid sheer bolts."
Old 11-25-2002, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ginter
Despite the fact that my set of factory manuals purchased a few months ago don't include a wiring diagram for ANY 914/6 (why is that BTW?), it is one of the best references you will find Douglas. I know it's a lotta change, but...
I'll echo both of Mike's sentiments. The factory manuals have been totally worth it for me, particularly for /6 stuff which is sometimes an afterthought in the mainstream books.

And no, I don't get why there's no wiring diagrams. I got mine from Art Zapf (who is zipsix@earthlink.net -- he makes a very detailed diagram for the /6) Also quite useful.

hth.

krk.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

How much are factory manuals?
Old 11-27-2002, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Generally over $300 new. Or they were when you could get them. There were, I think, ones on microfische that were a lot cheaper; cost something like $40. I think I'm not just remembering the parts microfische...

--DD

Old 11-27-2002, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by anthony
How much are factory manuals?
yikes. I'll pass to Mike on this one. I got mine on ebay a year or two ago and don't actually know off hand the bill. (something like $200 seems right) PP lists them at $355, so that's as good a guess as any...

If you get older ones (ebay/etc), they may be the ones with color pictures. (someone told me the new ones are all b/w -- dunno if it's really true tho)

hth.

krk.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Somewhere on the order of $360 Yup, B&W

Rusty told me about Art Zapf. He said you just send him a $30 ($35?) and a diagram shows up. I don't like that sort of communication, but what choice do I have? No /6 wiring diagrams in this thing.

Ginter's 914 stuff

Last edited by gint; 12-15-2003 at 05:58 AM..
Old 11-27-2002, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
The closest you can get otherwise is an issue of Pano (reprinted in one of the Up-Fixin' Der Porsche volumes) that has the 914-6 harness in B&W.

Or the copy that we have on our site, also in B&W. With some... uhhh... "annotations" by some prior mechanic...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Electrical/914-6_electrical.jpg

--DD

Old 11-27-2002, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ginter
Somewhere on the order of $360 Yup, B&W

Rusty told me about Art Zapf. He said you just send him a $30 ($35?) and a diagram shows up. I don't like that sort of communication, but what choice do I have? No /6 wiring diagrams in this thing. Grrr.....
Actually, I did exactly the same thing. It's not quite "leave 35 bucks under a rock and come back tomorrow" Art does email, but not so much. I traded email with him prior to sending my 35 bucks. The email basically said "yep. send me 35 bucks for the full color one and I'll mail it to you". I did and he did.

His web site:

http://home.earthlink.net/~zipsix/

(I didn't know about the web site until after I got the wiring diagrams -- the cover letter mentioned it so I'm mentioning it here)

About the only thing funky is the B&W version is designed to fit in your manuals, while the color version is 20"x24". It's what I got and it's quite nice. Doesn't fit in the manual, but that doesn't matter so much to me.

hth.

krk.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Thanks Kim I didn't know about the web site either. That's helpful.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-28-2002, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
The color version is excellent and well worth the $35.

As for leaving it under a rock, etc, the 914 community is small and most people live on their reputation.

James
Old 11-28-2002, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: