Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone running "Nickies"?

I've got a couple of years (hopefully) before I rebuild, but I was seriously concidering getting a set of the "Nickie" cylinders and pistons kit from LN Engineering (http://www.lnengineering.com/) possibly the 102mm. $2800.00 seems like a chunk of change for an engine kit, but if they work as well as advertised I guess it would be worth it in the long run. So.............. is Anyone running Nickies?, if so, what's your opinion on them.

Save the Whales......................Collect the whole set

'73 914
'75 914
Old 11-26-2002, 11:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ayup, I'm runnin' nickies.....they come from Mahle...the pistons from Shasta. They seem to work pretty well.

As for the cost, you pays your money and takes your chances.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm not running them but the LN Engineering guy Charles Navarro is a regular here. Not only do engines with Nickies last forever bit they run very cool.

Give Charles a call and he will give you the rundown. He's a good guy.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The Biral (iron liner, aluminum fins) cylinders also look pretty interesting. They were even more interesting at the price point that had been discussed earlier (as in, "we think it will be around $$, but don't count on it") but they may still be a decent way to go... Still, $1000 for a set of cylinders is a big chunk of money.

Hey, if they work the way they are supposed to, either setup is well worth the money!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-27-2002, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Birals and Nickies work, I'm using them more and more everyday. Nothing parallels them.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 11-27-2002, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

$1000 for P&Cs too much?

Try looking at new Mahles for a 911, especially fancy ones, like 98mm P&Cs from Andial with 9.5:1 CR, optimized for carbs.... Cost around $3K. I realize you're getting six, instead of four, but still.... sheez!

But $1000 for P&Cs in a higher performance Type IV engine that you want to run cooler and hold together is a great investment, IMHO.

Talk with Jake... he knows his stuff! Plus he likes to blow up engines for fun! That's cool!

Happy Thanksgiving...

Regards,
Old 11-27-2002, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yeah, they sound like the way to go to me too. I've got two extra 2.0L short blocks laying around, and plan to slowly (so that the wife doesn't catch on) over a two year period convert one of them into a 200+ hp "Nickie" powerplant. Just need to locate someone around these parts that does descent head work. The last place that supposedly rebuilt my heads was pathetic, I got them back and they still had the old exhaust gaskets stuck in them, and upon removal I found part of the gasket boss missing, real precision work there (not!).

'73 914
'75 914
Old 11-27-2002, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

NOTHING parallels Nickies, only Birals even come close.....

Infact if you want me to assemble any engine with a bore larger than 96mm, you gotta make the investment with the Nickies, I won't even contemplate cast iron cylinders.....too much work, too much cost for a life of only 20K miles if you get really lucky.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 11-27-2002, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
$1000 for P&Cs too much?

Try looking at new Mahles for a 911

Actually, that's $1K just for the cylinders. The "cheaper" ones, the birals. If you compare apples to apples, it's $2400 for the Nickies P&C kit. A wee bit more per pot than the 911 set, though the materials are comparable. (Laws claims that the Nickies are actually better material and a better design; I don't know enough engineering to agree or disagree with him.)

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 11-27-2002, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
The biggest problem I see running them is the rest of the engine. Investing into a nice set of P/Cs will also incure the cost of making damn sure that nothing else is going to come apart and turn them into hammered sh....! I would probably light the car on fire and send it off a cliff if it dropped a valve after investing in a set of LNs aluminum P/Cs. Spending money on quality parts in no problem for me, its the time it take to get that money that makes it hard.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Last edited by roadtrp204; 11-27-2002 at 06:54 PM..
Old 11-27-2002, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Exactly, and when I use a set of them nothing is spared, Billet cranks and all the finest parts are standard, you don't have to have them but I'll be damed if something is gonna screw up those cylinders!
www.massivetype4.com
Old 11-27-2002, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Dave!

Oh crap! They ARE expensive. But I'm sure they're better than big bore P&Cs from Japan!

You get what you pay for!

Happy Turkey Day!

Regards,
Old 11-27-2002, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: