Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Yes - another electrical problem

Continuing on from "Interesting Electrical Problem"

Well....

It looks like it was the ignition switch that was the problem on my 73. It was cracked.I bought a new one from PP and installed it. I have switched power now at the coil however, I have run into two new problems. Since I installed the switch the "key in lock buzzer" does not work anymore (no power to it) and I still do not get any spark from the coil. I get power on the primary and secondary sides but no spark if I turnover car and hold the coil wire just off a ground point.
I am using a new Bosch "Blue" coil. Coils rarely fail but I also tried my old stock coil
that worked prior to installing the bigger four and webers.

Any Ideas anyone?

DD, FYI-I have kept all the FI parts and have another 2.0L case. Someday, I will revert back to FI - I know you are a big fan.

RJS
Old 11-30-2002, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think you mat have "primary" and "secondary" a little confused as the seconday is where the high voltage is generated and the primary is the 12 volt side. That said, if there is voltage to the coil then the points have to open/close to force the voltage change to make the secondary generate the high voltage. It might be that the points are not opening/closing and the best way to see this is with the cap off and cranking the engine. Could also be a bad rotor or bad cap but if you have the end of the wire from the coil then I'd guess the points. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks John. I had a brain cramp. I think I fried my electronic ignition.

RJS
Old 12-01-2002, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You can try quickly grounding the (-) terminal of the coil and taking it away. Either when that ground connection is made, or when it's broken, you should get a spark from the coil. (You can use a spare plug wire and plug connected to the coil's center terminal; tape the plug so the threads are grounded.)

Evidently leaving the key "on" for more than ~30 seconds without the engine running is a good way to kill a Pertronix. Supposedly Pertronix-2 takes care of this problem. Not sure about Compufire.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-02-2002, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: