Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Engine Case Modifications / Job List

Hi, I know this is probably covered elsewhere, but I've really struggled searching - whatever I search for I seem to come up with type-1 information and as a bit of a VW / Porsche Type 4 newbie I'm not sure how much is relevant to Type 4's as well..

I have a Type 4 engine (VW not 914) which I'm building up to a relatively mild state of tune for a 356 Coupe replica. I am aiming at 2256cc and around 140bhp - more a reliable muscular road engine than a track / auto-x screamer.

I have everything stripped down and the case is in good shape, so before I go any further I'm looking at what I should do as either preventative maintenance or for future peace of mind.

I've looked at drilling / tapping for threaded plugs, I've read in a couple of places the longer pump pick-up tube is a good swap-in for the shorter version to prevent aeration under breaking, and I've seen a couple of references to opening up some of the oil return passages to aid drainage (also adding holes or a couple of extra louvers to the windage tray for the same reason)

Is there anything else I'm missing? Any "while you're in there" jobs I should be considering? I'm doing everything myself so there's no major issues with cost per-se hence I'd like to try and get a definitive list of things to do and make this bottom end as solid as possible

Again, apologies if these items are common knowledge - just seems like Type 4 specific info is fairly slim on the ground outside of 914 circles. Also since Photobucket broke the internet its got even harder!..

Hope some one can help
Old 08-31-2017, 12:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Anyone?...
Old 08-31-2017, 11:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Shoptalkforums.com - Index page has a subforum dedicated to the type4 engine, very helpfull people too.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You have covered things pretty well with your list, I think.

A lot of the oiling mods are really intended for track cars or autoXers. Unless you're going to be zooming around a full cloverleaf exchange, they won't do you a lot of good.

I have heard of people port matching the oil pump inlet and outlet ports to the ports in the case (or vise-versa). Might not be a big benefit, but couldn't hurt.

Consider an external oil cooler, and how you would add it to the system. A popular retrofit is to use a "sandwich plate" between the oil filter and its mount, but if you plan it in from the beginning there are other options. For instance, you can get a block-off plate that replaces the stock oil cooler and has fittings for oil lines, so you would replace the stock cooler with a larger remote cooler. There are other options as well, but keep in mind that space in some areas (e.g., around the oil pump) is tight in a stockish 914 installation.

External coolers are not always needed with larger engines than stock, but they often are.

Other stuff is mostly "make sure everything works the way it is supposed to". The thermostat flaps need to be present, make sure you have the flaps under the car to help cooling, make sure all the bits are clean, and so on.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-01-2017, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses - I've tried to register on shoptalk forum, resent the registration email, etc etc and it never ever comes through - I've basically given up on them as I can't search without registering and there's far too much to just read through on the off chance

This is going in a 356 replica so I'm thinking space may be limited around the stock cooler plus airflow may be restricted a bit so a remote / upgraded cooler is a good idea - I will build this in "properly" with a block off plate as you suggest

Thanks for the pointers- appreciate it
Old 09-01-2017, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If it is going in a rear-engine'd car, you may want to skip the "tuna can" oil trap. I have heard that it is too exposed to potential damage there, and if it takes a hard hit you basically ruin the crankcase. The regular "deep sump" attaches differently and may not be as exposed. Or on a street car you can just stay with the stock sump and oil pickup setup.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-02-2017, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Good info, thanks..
I will prob keep the stock sump - I'm not planning on a floor scraping stance or a track weapon so think it should prob be ok, especially with a decent size external cooler and the other mods to aid drainage back to sump

I think from reading and looking at what others have done the 356 layout might require a little creative thinking to draw air into the engine bay for cooling - hopefully by doing this research up front I'll be able to design that in from the start rather than trying to make it work at the end
Old 09-02-2017, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I've got a 1.8 T4 in a speedster replica,twin webers,headers and upgrade ignition go's really well due to being rather light.
With a non 914 T4 the oil dipstick is very hard to get to,you can however modify a bus case if your engine is apart however.
You need to modify your flywheel and fit a pilot bearing if running a type 1 VW gearbox,if you choose to run a 914 box this isn't needed.
Cooling shouldn't be an issue if you go for a twin grill engine lid just make sure your motor is well sealed in the enginebay.
Not sure you will need an external oil cooler.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply I appreciate the input
Also good to hear the 1.8 goes well as struggling to decide between 2276 and 2056 - will be running efi / crank fired, coil on plug etc
Old 10-15-2017, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: