Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

windshield replace

Dave, Does our host have any articles on replacing the windshield. I have to replace my windshield and was thinking about doing it my self. I have replaced windshields on aircraft both piston and jets which are much thicker but I would like a to read about it first
Thanks
Old 10-16-2017, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I thought we had one, but on looking it appears we do not.

The windshield is held in with butyl tape, like the rear window is. The short version is that you remove the aluminum trim around the window, breaking a bunch of the trim clips in the process, then you cut the butyl with a wire or a flexible sharp knife. You will likely have to remove some of the trim on the inside of the window as well, of course.

There are two rubber blocks at the bottom of the window that keep it in position vertically. Don't lose them; remember where they go as you will need them again!

Clean up the pinch weld, fix any rust you find, and paint to protect the metal. You may want to use a bonding agent around the edges of the windshield to help it stick better and to hide the seam from the outside. Once the paint has properly dried, you can install the new windshield with a new rope of butyl tape. Heat up the pinch weld and the new windshield to ensure adhesion between them and the butyl. Make sure the rubber blocks are in position, and press the windshield in. Install the trim clips, and press gently on the windshield to set it.

Once the butyl has cured, re-install the bright trim. You will need to remove the rear view mirror base from the old windshield; often a putty knife and a hammer will pop it off. Glue into the correct location on the new windshield--measure first to make sure you get it in the right spot!

... I just paid someone to do the job for me. I felt comfortable tackling the rear window, but I decided that I wasn't going to risk breaking the new windshield.

Note that some people use modern urethane adhesive to glue the windshield in. I am not a fan, as I think the butyl has more "give" and is slightly less prone to cracking the windshield after installation.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-17-2017, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

+1 on the butyl vs modern adhesives. Our old cars can flex too much to use a modern bonding agent. The flex in the butyl rubber allows your car body to flex without putting tension on the windscreen.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

tape

Where do I purchase the tape ? does our host have the tape for sale
Old 10-18-2017, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Butyl tape is sold at a lot of auto parts stores. NAPA is where I got it. It is like a roll of black licorice with wax paper to keep it from sticking. You want to wear gloves handling it.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have done this twice on my ‘75 914 1.8, and frankly, for the $100 a local installer charged me last time, while I watched (read as ‘supervised’) with my beer in hand, I won’t do it again. I think it took me 4-6 hrs each time, he did it in less than one.
Agree though: go butyl, save the blocks, replace gaskets if old, and great time to check the dash vinyl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-19-2017, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Bruce(GWN7) makes the gasket that is much easier to change while the windshield is out, just sayin'
Old Today, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: