Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Identifying steering column

Picked up what is registered as a 1970 914 but has a later Porsche 2 L motor and some features seem more common on 73's....not overly concerned with originality but like to know what I am working on when it comes to parts :-) I know the steering columns (and required adapters to change wheels) is different on the 69-71 but how can I identify if I indeed have the earlier column or if it too has been updated with later parts?? Appreciate any help as I get up to speed on 914's...not my first P car but my first 914.... Tks
Old 10-27-2017, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I don't remember any differences that are easy to describe and easy to see. I do know that a 70 would have the windshield wiper controlled by a knob on the dash, rather than a stalk on the steering column, though.

What does the VIN start with? If it's "47029", it's a 1970 model year car. If it starts with "47329", it's a 73 model year car.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-28-2017, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Dave, as it DOES have the washer button on dash not on the stalk so guessing that would indicate its the correct early column matching the VIN number that does indicate its a 1970. The VIN indicates its a 70 but it has the sliding adjustable passenger seat and fixed handbrake which seem to be more common on later models......And it does have a 2L motor with serial number indicating its from a 73 914? Originally assumed it was a 70 with a 73 motor but then wondered if its a 73 with a 70 VIN plate :-) Part of reason for question is would like to change wheel and have discovered its almost impossible to source a hub if its a 70 but wanted to make sure it WAS a 70 column not a later one before I start ordering parts
Old 10-28-2017, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: