Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Replacing the basketweave material on the dash??

Hello,

I got fed up looking at the 70's add on wood and ripped it off of my dash. Of course I now need to replace the vinyl basketweaver material. The dash is now a mess of old glue and bits of wood.

Any advice on where to get the correct material, or should I just get a new metal baseplate? Any tips on removing all of the switches?

Regards,

Chris
Old 05-21-2018, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hi Chris,

Take a look at the link below; you're able to get the basketweave vinyl material here.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/5865/POR_5865_INTDSH_pg1.htm#item5
Old 05-21-2018, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
For the most part, the switches unscrew. The knob unscrews, and then you'll see what the manual calls an "escutcheon" (fancy term for shield) which is basically a nut with no flats. There's a slot sticking out from the hole in the middle, and you can use some snap-ring pliers or needle-nose pliers or a special tool to unscrew them. Get the nut started with the tools, then just use your fingers to thread it the rest of the way off.

Remember to disconnect the battery ground post first; if the switches fall somewhere and the wires touch the wrong stuff it could cause a short if you don't.

I believe the face plate in my car was held onto the dash with foam double-stick tape. Not sure how stock that was. Once the face is off the dash frame, you can easily scrape the stuff off of it, prep and paint, then re-install and put up the basketweave vinyl.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-21-2018, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Dave, I have a roll of the material from Pelican. I ordered it a while back, but just never had the time!
Old 05-22-2018, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I think from the factory they just sprayed glue on the back of the material and on the dash and stuck them together

Remember, you can always trim it shorter and vinyl can sometimes shrink a bit.

Francis Bacon
Old 05-22-2018, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the help so far. I have a sticking point. Try as I might I cannot get the lighter out .. it doesn't unscrew. In fact the old dash plate was so screwed up I ordered a new one, meaning I could cut the old one from the lighter housing. Any tips? The reconstruction will be near impossible I don't get that lighter housing out. I managed to push off the lighter connections with a long screwdriver, but I doubt I will ever be able to get them back on!

Also the Radio plate is cracked faded and generally unusable .. any ideas?

Oh and I need a glove box "handle" .. I can't find anything for that either?

Thanks, hope to get the car back to together for Saturday's Cars and Coffee in Houston!
Old 05-28-2018, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Dash Face resto complete

I finally managed to complete the dash. I was disappointed in the repro Radio face plate. I therefore cut out the radio bezel from the old original unit with a bandsaw. Then I took a spare new repro part and carefully removed the bezel with a Dremel tool. I then refitted the radio and the face plate. Once the radio was centered I used epoxy to mount the old bezel within the frame of the new repro part. It took me the better part of a night to do this. Another reason why restoration can be a costly process. I believe the inclusion of the original, worn bezel looks so much better.

I then buffed the very old and tired paint with my new Rupes RA polisher! What a difference, another story.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Turned out pretty nice, wish my dash looked like yours

Pelican has upholstery kits and there is a pretty detailed write up on how to recover the seats over on 914world...

Francis Bacon
Old 06-18-2018, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I never "really" considered redoing the seats myself. I guess that is one job I would farm out, maybe?
Old 06-24-2018, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Have you looked on 914world? I think there is a pretty detailed set of instructions for doing the back pad, the seats and the door cards. I want to do houndstooth or plaid.

Francis Bacon
Old 06-25-2018, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
No I have not looked on 914world. To be honest I want to leave the car as original as possible for the next caretaker. I am seriously considering letting her go. I have too many projects, '71 911T (needs more power and suspension / wish it was as good as the 6) & a 930 (still in the shop after an engine out and other mods). Not to mention the motorcycles, moving house, and the list goes on.

You just can't keep everything.

The plan is to get a CoA, had the car on the lift today. I want to tidy up a few small things and then we will list it. First on here. ... then maybe BAT. I refuse to start another project until something is sold. I even have a set of GTS seats with Tartan inserts in production for the 914, maybe I will fit them to my 911T?
Old 07-02-2018, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: