Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Getting Key Made for Alarm

Today i took my Factory Alarm Key "Mechanism" or "Cylinder" out to bring it into a lock smith so i could have a key fitted for it, since the owner didnt give me a key when i bought it. Im not sure if the Alarm system will even work once i get the key but i'll give it a shot. The wierd thing is when the 2 wires that connect to the key lock are unhooked, the car will not start and a clicking sound comes from the DME or near it. I tried putting the 2 wires together but it doesnt start unless it is hooked up. That seems weird to me. The lock smith is going to cut the back off of the key mechanism, and take it apart to make the key, and then glue it back together. I had to go this route because the Factory stopped cutting keys for the Alarms since the keys are slightly shorter then the ignition keys.....Weird! Well its 3 AM, good night.

John
Old 03-25-2003, 01:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I was just quoted a new switch as costing $78 nat my Porsche dealer. Let me know how yours works when you are done. I was thinking of just buying a generic key switch for it, but from your posting itr appears something else is going on in there. The switch probably grounds one of the wires when in one position and connects the wires in another?
Old 04-01-2003, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I just got it back yesterday and it all works fine, it makes it so my car wont start when turned on but my car doesnt honk like its suppose to. But as far as the key goes, it worked good.

John
Old 04-01-2003, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Oh yah it ended up costing almost $45
Old 04-01-2003, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I don't have key either. Was going to install a generic but it won't work. Checked for grounding to chassis when switch is off- nope!

I think I'll go dealer switch route; seems a shame not to use factory alarm.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
How did you remove the fixture from the fender???

Like most, I also didn't get a key when I bought my car!!

Also...I am a bit unsure on where you go the key for the alarm?? Custom key or can you buy them from some source??
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 07-07-2003, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

I've been lucky getting replacement alarm keys from the dealer. Haven't bought one in a while but they should still be available. However, I haven't been able to get any blanks for the wheel lock keys, any suggestions there?
Old 07-07-2003, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm wondering if there is a resistor in the switch? I just looked at the elec schematics and there are two resistors of unknown values in the switch. That is why strait grounding of the wires won't work.

'86 951 Mostly stock and all fun!

Last edited by threesticks; 07-07-2003 at 10:21 AM..
Old 07-07-2003, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?

That could very well be true. I know it was the same way for my 5 series beemer.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

will944,

to remove alarm switch: pry off black plastic surround, then a nut is exposed. Open driver's door, remove vent in door jam; your hand should just fit. Two terminal lugs on switch. Plenty of slack in harness to extract switch through door jam.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Repoman,

Really appreciate the help on this topic. Doesn't seem difficult at all...

Have a good one
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 07-09-2003, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Oh, while fixing my horn I noticed the second horn did not get any power when the horn button is pressed. Is the second horn the alarm horn? If so, the contacts may be corroded, or someone like me removed the second horn thinking it was broken.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I've heard that a SAAB key blank can be used somehow.
1981 VW Rabbit diesel
1984 Isuzu P'up diesel
Old 07-09-2003, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

My high-note horn works; it's also wired to alarm. My low-note horn is kaput but car came with a horn in trunk.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I'm usually not a big fan of "progress" but...

now that econoboxes come with 18" alloys, theft of 15" alloys isn't that big of a problem that it was in the '80s.

I had a key but 3 locks were corroded shut. I drilled 'em all.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: