Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver

Garage
Different types of temp units?

Hi,

In a separate thread I posted that my temperature control unit had a broken base plate and was missing some switches, so I decided to buy another used unit that had and then send them to a rebuilder who could essentially cannibalize one to build out the other.

I got an email from him yesterday that said that the units are in fact different. Here is what he wrote

"these are two differently constructed units. I'm not sure what that means exactly. The more beat up one only had 1 circuit board in it. The better condition one, had three in a U formation. "

Does does anyone have any information about differently constructed units? I purchased a unit that was said to have come out of a 1987 base 944 which is my car and what my unit came out of.

It appears the connectors and the receptacles on the back of both units are the same.

As always thanks in advance

GHEN

Last edited by GHEN; 11-16-2019 at 04:11 AM..
Old 11-16-2019, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There are 2-3 versions of the 1985.5+ AC climate control head. They all look more or less the same when installed. The early one has a ton of boards and components and is bulkier, I think it also has the non-replaceable AC switch. The later one has a lot more integrated circuits and a socketed AC switch. 968s get a detent pot for the temp knob. I'm running a 1988 Turbo unit in my 1992 968 and it works fine, seems the same other than the detent clicks when rotating the temp knob. It's the more integrated type.

I do not know when the cutoff for the old-timey multi-board unit was.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrahm View Post
There are 2-3 versions of the 1985.5+ AC climate control head...
Thanks!

GHEN
Old 11-16-2019, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: