Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

non-working odometer

Does an '86 944 with electronic speedometer sender (as opposed to mechanical cable) still have the famous $40 plastic odometer drive gear? The speedometer now works after replacing the sender, but not the odometer.

Thanks,
'88 CitroŽn 2CV
Old 04-01-2003, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
I have got the same problem with my 87 944! My speedo works, but my odometer has stopped.

Does anyone know what needs to be repaired and how much it would cost???
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 04-01-2003, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I never heard of one

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I dont know much but every broken 944 odometer ive heard of has been fixed with the plastic gear, you can get it on ebay for like 35 bucks. Good luck
John
Old 04-01-2003, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Have a look on this site.

www.klaindustries.net/

http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/coupe

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, 1997
Old 04-01-2003, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

You can get the gear and fix it yourself in a matter of minutes. Look at the tech section at www.klaindustries.net

http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/coupe

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, 1997
Old 04-01-2003, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Replacing that gear looks pretty simple. Thanks a lot for your help.

But now my concern is taking off the dash! Maybe I should just have a shop deal with it. I am willing to work on my car....but that seems a bit labor intensive. Is there an easier way of getting at just the cluster????

Thanks
Will
87 951
C3 Stingray

Last edited by will944; 04-01-2003 at 09:51 PM..
Old 04-01-2003, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Patrickprk
Odometer access

Quote:
Originally posted by will944
Replacing that gear looks pretty simple. Thanks a lot for your help.

But now my concern is taking off the dash! Maybe I should just have a shop deal with it. I am willing to work on my car....but that seems a bit labor intensive. Is there an easier way of getting at just the cluster????

Thanks
Will
Don't have a shop do it. You an do this in less than 20minutes to pull the entire cluster out.

First. Remove the steering wheel. Second, Unscrew the three screws with in your vents. You'll find two screws next to the Odometer reset button, and the other one on the right side of your front/center a/c vents.
Third, look at your cluster, look at the clear plastic covering of your instrament cluster, look directly up and you will see three vertical screws that you need to take out. Next, there is a vertical screw on the left side of your blinker and a screw on the right side of yoru windshield wiper switch. Take those out and your complete a/c piece of plastic should just pull out. But be carefull. Next, you will have access to the four screws holding the cluster in -they are very noticeable. (they are on the sides of the cluster)
Then, once you unscrew those, there will be three wiring harnesses attached to the back of your cluster. This is the trick part.
Once you take out the screws attaching the cluster you should be able to pull the cluster out just slightly to obtain view of how the wiring harnesses are attached. Pull all three harnesses off, and then very carefully pull the instrament cluster out.

Once you have the cluster out, there will be a lot of screws that you will have to take out to take the plastic backing off of the cluster. Once you take that out. Refer to the instructions at: http://www.klaindustries.net/ CLICK ON "Technical" at the top of the site and then click on "944 Odometer Gear Instructions."

Hope this helps, hope you could follow me, if you have any more questions feel free to email me.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks a lot!!

I'll get to it once all my damn exams and projects are finished!! Damn profs....
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 04-02-2003, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: