Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Tips for spark plugs removing & installing ect

Here are some tips for removing spark plugs & installing without damaging them,losen them first with ratchet & socket then use a rubber hose to remove & install afterward then tighen to specks.Oil filter shove some paper towels down & around it...will keep it from being messy ,disconect the coil cable ,use filter remover with a long extension & ratchet.Install back by hands.For those who have fancy wheels & nuts & don't want to damage them this socket with with interior softener is the answer.

Take be safe

Old 05-02-2020, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
curtisr

Garage
+1
1987 924s Garnet Red (with FIAMM air horns!)
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 05-03-2020, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Yes...I could see that after loosening a spark plug too much lateral (sideways) pressure could then damage threads - so your suggestion to use a rubber tube to remove them after first loosening and then to install them before final tightening sounds good. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2020, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks Ernie, all these little bits of collective wisdom add-up to make us all smarter.

I'd also suggest a small dab of anti-seize on the plus threads. Some sources recommend against this but in my 30+ years of playing with cars, that's always proved a good idea.

Many of those thirty years were spent playing with Alfa's, which score 10/10 for "Ease of Changing Plugs"

Not my Alfa

John
Old 05-04-2020, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Thanks Ernie, all these little bits of collective wisdom add-up to make us all smarter.

I'd also suggest a small dab of anti-seize on the plus threads. Some sources recommend against this but in my 30+ years of playing with cars, that's always proved a good idea.

Many of those thirty years were spent playing with Alfa's, which score 10/10 for "Ease of Changing Plugs"

Not my Alfa

John
NGK is the only plug manufacturer to recommend no anti-seizure and if you visit their website they have a nice article to tell you why. A special coating on the threads of their spark plugs. Putting anti-seize on will allow the spark plugs to get over-torqued. No other brand that I am aware of has this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2020, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
I don't bother applying anti-seize since the plugs get replaced often (every other year)...
Old 05-04-2020, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Some car MFGs say no to anti seize on plugs due to a concern about it harming conductivity. Ill likely never be working on a car that modern.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
One important first step is to use compressed air to blow out any dirt in the plugwell before removing the plug so nothing can fall down inside the cylinder.

Also finish the job with a torque wrench.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Reviving an thread of mine ,was thinking it will come handy for new guys which have just join us.Adding a couple pics ,first on notice the rubber acting as softener inside the socket for plugs removal & a wheel wrench I modified from + to T,work real good,both of my Porsche.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Nice tool. I have found that using only a socket and an extension (no ratchet) to start the plugs in their holes is the best way to ensure that the plug is not cross threaded. Once it reaches the bottom of the hole, I attach the ratchet and give it a snug.

I am a firm believer in antiseize, use it on all my cars, old and new.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 10-18-2020, 03:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 944 Ecology View Post
Nice tool. I have found that using only a socket and an extension (no ratchet) to start the plugs in their holes is the best way to ensure that the plug is not cross threaded. Once it reaches the bottom of the hole, I attach the ratchet and give it a snug.

I am a firm believer in antiseize, use it on all my cars, old and new.
Agree but found out you get a better feel with the rubber hose when it come to start them up,BTW lot pf guys forget to replace this little fellaw when doing their oil change ...The oil drain plug washer... cost $0.25Not sure if they come in two dimension ,the one on my 944 was 22x27x1.5 mm can you shed some ligth on that George.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Will keep on going with more infos,not for the old timer but the new members,hate to call them Newbie or Green:The two next pics will show you the rigth level to have on your oil dipstic....Bleu straw full....red don't start your motor unless you add oil. second pic Black mark your ok to drive but should top off.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage

can happen to the best
Old 10-18-2020, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
944 S2

Great tips!
Now if only we could figure out how not to dump oil all over the place when removing the filter!
Old 10-19-2020, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 944 S2 View Post
Great tips!
Now if only we could figure out how not to dump oil all over the place when removing the filter!
Easy it's in the tip ,lot of paper towels around the bottom & once losse flip it up fast ,this way you migth have oil residu but it will be minimum.Work for me it should for you. Let me know if you suceed.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Awesome info, @Ernie944. Will definitely use the rubber hose tip for the Porsche plug change. Keep'em coming.

@Jjefferies is absolutely right about Alfas -- doesn't get any easier on those beautiful engines... except trying to find a source for the recommended Golden Lodge spark plugs is a massive challenge. The Alfa guys will know what I'm talking about!

1973 Ford Courier
Old 10-19-2020, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: