Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
968 Gauge Cluster at Startup: Alternator light?

Guys,

I'm chasing down a no-charge issue with a rebuilt alternator that I just put in. One thing I'm trying to figure out is which alternator warning light comes on when the key is turned (Right hand gauge pod.) Can someone please post a YouTube on their 968 starting up, focused on right cluster, so I can see what's supposed to light? I pulled the cluster and could not find the bulb that lights the alt warning light.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Old 05-12-2020, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by universeman View Post
Guys,

I'm chasing down a no-charge issue with a rebuilt alternator that I just put in. One thing I'm trying to figure out is which alternator warning light comes on when the key is turned (Right hand gauge pod.) Can someone please post a YouTube on their 968 starting up, focused on right cluster, so I can see what's supposed to light? I pulled the cluster and could not find the bulb that lights the alt warning light.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Hope this will help,my ex 968 on start up then running.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Perfect, thanks - is there no light that says "Alternator" in the center of the pod? Just the red light on the bottom of the voltmeter?
Old 05-12-2020, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Perfect, thanks - is there no light that says "Alternator" in the center of the pod? Just the red light on the bottom of the voltmeter?
Are you talking about the last gauge witch show the oil pressure & the battery? Because there is a triangle ...Alternator...that should ligth up.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Those are pics of a perfect mechanical 968 pod running normally at idle after warm up...then on the road at 50-klms an hours & then
Old 05-12-2020, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Those are pics of a perfect mechanical 968 pod running normally at idle after warm up... on the road at 50-klms an hours & then lol don't tell nobody at 210klm an hrs one hand on the steering ,& holding my camera in the other hand trying to focus on the speedo.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Ernie944 my right hand pod has a light that says ANTILOCK not one that says Alternator, are you sure it says Alternator? (your pic is a little blurry)
Old 05-13-2020, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Ernie944 my right hand pod has a light that says ANTILOCK not one that says Alternator, are you sure it says Alternator? (your pic is a little blurry)
Sorry universemen you are correct it is ANTILOCK my mistake
Old 05-13-2020, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Here is a sharper view of it. all.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
FYI guys I'm working on this alternator still - FOURTH alternator is on its way to me, the OEM one I have is bad, as were two replacement (Bosch Reman and an OReilly reman) alternators, one of which I installed and other I wisely took in to have bench tested before installing. Hoping number four is good. Going to take it in the box down to the auto parts store to have it checked before I go through all the trouble of installing it! Thanks for the help with the lights.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Check the condition of your charging cable feeding back to the starter. They turn to crap over time. I had to replace mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2020, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

its a system so take the time to go through the wiring and grounds. check the lower harness and the engine compartment connector for the exciter wire.

rebuilding one takes an hour or so the third time. a new bosch regulator is usually great Britain and bearing quality matters where remans are a pig in a poke.

imho, bad batteries kill alternators and bad alternators kill batteries. the dash gauge is infotainment so check things at the battery and/or the alt output post with a meter
Old 05-23-2020, 01:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Agreed. Check the exciter wire as well. I replaced it too.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2020, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks guys. Update here: it was a bad alternator (three of them, actually!) Got the reman Bosch out of the box, took it to O'Reilly, tested bad. Bought one of their alternators, opened the box, had them test it, bad. Finally got one (Bosch reman) that tested good. Wired it in and we're all good to go. Will update here as I learn more.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Thanks guys. Update here: it was a bad alternator (three of them, actually!) Got the reman Bosch out of the box, took it to O'Reilly, tested bad. Bought one of their alternators, opened the box, had them test it, bad. Finally got one (Bosch reman) that tested good. Wired it in and we're all good to go. Will update here as I learn more.
Glad your having some success with your alternator problèmes,after a good spin let us know how it turn out.Take care.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: