Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry Shifting Problem

My 944's shifter has always been real sloppy but accurate. Recently, that puppy has started to have difficulty shifting in 4th. You'll be putting along and shifting out of 4th to 5th or downshifting from 4 to 3 and it won't go back into the neutral position. I feel a slight "pulsing" when I try to push it up. It will release into neutral and shift normally if you jiggle the shifter side to side several times an re-attempt a shift. If you avoid shifting into 4th all gears seem to function properly. Could be a shift fork on 4? Any ideas or adjustments? Help!
Old 04-30-2003, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have heard that poor down shifting can be bad syncros. I would bet that yours is a linkage problem though. Sorry I cant offer any better advise.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
I have an interesting "thing that's been happening" I can only down shift into 3rd if I do it not slowly but not slam down shift style, sort of down shift with your nose in the air, like a snob. BUt up shifting is fine from 2nd. This bugs the ***** out of me, When I wanna drop it I either have to keep up the revs.. (sounds like a syncro huh?) or shift to second and go into third form there, it's pretty gay, to shift like that, but I don't have 5 minutes to even wash my car as of late. I suck.

Frank B
Old 04-30-2003, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Alas so much for the unfairness of things.

Synchros are on their way out.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-01-2003, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Angry

Failing Synchros would effect dynamic shifting. However, when this thing sticks, you can shut the car down and still can't get it out of fourth without a good side-to-side jiggle. Is there a selector rod that can wearout inside this Audi grinder? This might explain the slopiness of shifting as well.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FLA944 Send a message via Yahoo to FLA944
repair of the shifter is your first priority and cheap. then see if it has the same error then syncros.

follow this link for the repair: "hail fr"

Shifter Repair
has never left garage (yet)
Old 05-06-2003, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Have you checked the shift lever itself? the horizontal shaft that goes into the linkage back to the trans gets really worn and allows the sloppiness. It may affect the ability to select the gates. I took my lever out and filed it down flat with a dremel (it was necked down at both ends of the shaft) then wrapped it in teflon tape (I wanted to fit it with a nylon sleeve/bushing but couldn't find one thin enough). It was only a temp fix till I replace the whole thing, but it's a 100% better - no flopping around and the shifting feels much more precise.
Louie

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 05-06-2003, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: