Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
Another Starting Problem

All,
I hope I don't sound too much like a dunce, but I could use some help. Friday I washed my early 85 944 (trying to stave off the weekend showers), and decided to take the extra step of cleaning the engine with a standard cleaner and fresh water rinse. It initially seemed fine, but after developing some fits it has stopped working altogether. It turns over but does not start. On checking, it no longer gets any power to the coil on start. I have since removed the intake and throttle body, and checked the connectors at the AFM, throttle position switch, and two speed sensors (I haven't found the connector for the TDC sensor). I haven't swapped out DME relay yet, as I assumed somthing had got wet with the wash. Any ideas before I have it towed to a nearby shop? Thanks

Louie

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 05-06-2003, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

most of the time I clean my engine I need to take the distributor cap off and dry out the condensation when I'm finished unless I protect it with plastic (cling) wrap. I don’t know why that dis cap is so hard for me to put back on either.

other times some connectors get wet... the 2 on the bracket at the back of the engine next to the oil filler, one of these goes to the reference (TDC) sensor that tells the DME unit to start the spark, the other to the speed sensor that tells the DME unit to control the fuel pump (and with that reference sensor, the dwell). lots of no start problems are cured by cleaning these 2 connectors

The TPS plug/connectors getting wet may not stop the spark but can make it run like crap...check them all...it will be a good time to clean them with ‘dielectric tune-up grease’…doing this it may keep you from being stranded far away from your driveway

with the coil power, 12 volts goes to the small black coil connection from the ignition key. it feeds through the coil to the other side (green wire) so if you measured across the 2 (black to green) with a meter, the voltage difference is nil….you need to measure meter chassis ground to the black to see 12v from the key switch

as the engine turns the reference sensor tells the DME unit to pulse a 'ground' signal on the coil's green lead. I can’t see how the DME relay prevents the coil from working…fuel from pumping - yes

Early '85 944

Last edited by carsontc; 05-06-2003 at 10:56 AM..
Old 05-06-2003, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am still amazed that people find it necessary to water the engine. The only water I let under the hood goes in the cooling system.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
> Heat the screwdriver as you bend it to keep it from snaping. Works like a charm for the distributor screws!

• black wire: Batt. voltage at all times
  • Green wire: batt voltage with key "on"
  • If you have a haynes manual, follow inst. to measure continuity between #4 & 13 post on coil ( you have to take out the rubber plug to get to one of em
  • You may have washed some metal particles into your flywheel area, and your TDC & RPM sensors might have picked them up. take em out and make sure end of them isn't covered w/ferrous stuff.
  • If you have a multi meter, see if you are getting secondary ign pulse @coil
A clean engine is a happy engine. Water won't hurt Porsches or God wouldn't let it rain on mine. Roger, I like the duct tape sig better.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

They seem to dislike water onthe top end.

Leave the hood open, park it in the sun, disconnect the electrical bits, spray it all down with brake cleaner (absorbs water)

Should fire back up once you got everything dried out and reconnected

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-07-2003, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: