Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Frame Damage -Can this be fixed

I don't know how much frame damage can be fixed!

Recently I rolled my 944 into a tree at about 5-10MPH. It pushed the bumper in and crunched in the part of the frame that the bumper shock is mounted on. This frame piece is now squashing the oil filter a bit.

The steel member is kinked back on itself!

Can this be straightened?

Old 06-07-2001, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, but when you are that close to the strut tower the will most likely have to cut and weld. When you bend metal it streches and weakens. That area will forever be a weak spot. Certinally not a great idea if this is a track car. But when I worked in a body shop I saw plenty of cars that looked worse then that, and they came out fine. These days they use laser alignment equipment coupled to the frame straightner to get it correct.
Old 06-07-2001, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Scott,
Thanks for the info

I saw a frame straightener today and he said this would be no problem. He showed me some things he is working on and you are right. some things are a lot worse.

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-07-2001, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Scott,
In regards to your comment about strength, This kink is forward of the strut and I believe the only weight it is bearing is the bumper (which I plan to convert to a 951 style)

If it was repaired as you say by cutting and welding, is that something which would require removal of the engine - to get in there? You can see where it is!
Old 06-08-2001, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Not that I have ever seen. In most cases they just pull the fender and attack it from the back side. Or move whatver they need out of the way. You should be good if it's not anywhere near the strut tower then. Everytime I have seen bent strut towers, the result repair caused camber problems. But you in great shape since it's farther forward!

Old 06-08-2001, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: