Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post 951 vs S2 vs 968 acceleration/handling

I've got a 220bhp 951. I am thinking about changing it for a newer car. Can anyone tell me what difference in acceleration and handling I will notice if I go for a 944S2 or 968.

Old 05-20-2001, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
s2's are newer and have better low-end torque, but that's about it. 968's have a bit more stock hp & updated suspension, but you will have no real power upgrades available to you.

as you know, your 951 is easily (and not too costly) upgradable in both power & suspension. for example, my 951 is chipped (260 hp, $400) but otherwise stock. i'd keep your 951.

Old 05-20-2001, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Keep the 951. Like Blackfoot says, it's easy to get much more hp for relatively little cash. Try that with a 911. I've come to think of it as the Rodney Dangerfield of Porsche.

Dave951M
Old 05-20-2001, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Keep the 951. I have tried them all. The S2 is quick, especially for an N/A 4. The 968 doesn't feel as quick (deceptive because of the 6 spd) but will certainly run. If all you are looking for is stock power going forward, then you would be okay with any of them (968 parts will run more $$$). I was debating between the 951 and a 928 over the other 2.

88 S4 5 spd.
Old 05-20-2001, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I was thinking about a 968 too, but I'm starting to like the way 944s look, a little better than 968s. Dated, yes but still a little more purpusefull, and hardcore looking.

Besides that, easier to get parts/serivce, lower book value=lower insurance costs etc. Like that's not enough, the exact same suspension, save for minor tuning differences in spring rates/socks (that are easy to replace).

The turbo engine is very easy to tune, etc.
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
Old 05-20-2001, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
so does that mean when you get the license back you're going to look for a 951?

Old 05-20-2001, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Rollins Send a message via AIM to Rollins
Blackfoot, what's the deal with your 951 so far? You got the paint and frnt end fixed? Did you get any rims or anything yet?
Old 05-20-2001, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
i had the belts & water pump done. then i did the boost enhancer & chips. in july, when i will have a garage available (i'm in an apartment, no room to work) i'll try to do the body panel replacement myself. upon doing that, the front end will be painted. you'll know when it's done as i'll have the front end in my signature!

Old 05-20-2001, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
You know Blackfoot, I think so... (Sweet signature pic btw)

I like 944s, always have. If I weren't in that accident, I'd still want a 550, but a car weighing less then 1400lbs, with an open cockpit on todays roads, or instability at 120 because of horrible aerodynamics, just aren't that appealing. Perhaps some day, as a third or fourth car, but not anytime soon.

By now, you probably know I change my mind a lot, but I want to go for a turbo S, and having only about 8k right now (+I still wanna do a few minor things to the 944 as I want to keep that car too), I'll probably have one sometime next year.

PS: Reality Check-->as of RIGHT NOW, I have 4 months 29 days, and 23 hours, 30 minutes to get my license back!
Ahmet

------------------
It's all the driver...
Old 05-20-2001, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yah i would say the 944 is a little more cutting and classic than a 968...I really like the 968 though, but classic is 944, and then back to the ugly 924, but throw some black fuchs and a spoiler on and a 24 looks sweetingly classic.

Go for the 968 turbo, if you are rich and can find one.
Old 05-20-2001, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

How do you use the car?
After owning both a 951 and an S2, there are a couple of differences I don't hear much about. The S2 has a ring & pinion with gearing much freindlier for heavy traffic. First gear is almost a granny gear compared to the turbo, which feels like your burning the clutch in stop & go traffic. Also, the S2 keeps its cool. Keep your eye on the temp guage in the turbo. I've run on the track with a buddy who still drives a turbo (we used to have "twin turbos"). Pretty even at the track, but I get him at every autocross. I find I drive the S2 around town more than I did the turbo.
Old 06-12-2001, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I only drive street. I would agree the gearshift is heavy on the 951. Would I be right in saying the handling is similar?
Which one was quickest accelerating through the gears (S2 or 220bhp 951)?
Old 06-13-2001, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Non Compos Mentis

The S2 will tear up the stock 951 off the line. Now and then we switch cars at an autocross and I can't believe what a pain the turbo lag is under those conditions. Out on the track, we've never had the chance yet to go head to head, but we have both ridden with each other. My car has M030 springs & shocks, and I am a bit quicker in the twisties. Out on the strait, there is hardly any difference in acceleration, but at the track we were on we only got to about 120. The S2 will top out about 140- The turbo will do that in 4th gear(at redline). The one big advantage of the turbo is all the upgrades that are available if you want to modify the car at all. Porsche did a good job maximizing the potential of the NA 3 litre, But there is lots of room to play with on the 951. Can you say BOOST? Both of us are autocrossing in the stock class for now, so both of our cars are pretty much original.
Old 06-14-2001, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Wait wait wait. So you say the S2 is quicker off the line. Is there any way you could put a Turbo on a S2? Im not thinking of getting rid of my car (looking for a twin turbo option btw) but it would be nice to know.
Old 06-14-2001, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Anything is possible- How big is your checkbook?
One of the big reasons for the difference is that the turbos have much lower compression ratios. That is why they feel somewhat dead until the boost kicks in. An engine with a high compression ratio can not tolerate much boost before it self destructs. If you were to add a turbo to an S2, you either have to reduce compression or use a very small turbo. A small turbo would have the advantage of quicker spool-up, but would not be able to match the top end power of the low compression/high boost combo. The engineers at the Porsche factory are smarter than me. I wouldn't want to experiment with such expensive pieces.

Old 06-14-2001, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: