Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
Question guages...

hey why does everyone else have that guage that says how many miles to the gallon they are getting un the tach and i dont??? i feel so left out :-(

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

924 ?

Nobody trust that stupid guage anyway..

It wiggles around more t'in a three legged dog in a pile o ants.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ds475
that gauge is a piece of s***, when you are at idle, you get 60 mpg, and when you just barely touch the gas, it goes to 0. retarded/gay gauge.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
The gauge reads hours/gallon when you're under a certain rpm (or was it speed), but yes I agree it's not a very usefull gauge but it should be accurate if everything's stock.
Ahmet
Old 10-09-2003, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
My freinds new Lexus has the same gauge. It seems to be just as active as the one on my car. It doesn't seem to be too useful, but it is a fun gauge to have none the less

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 10-09-2003, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to lousailor Send a message via Yahoo to lousailor
I'm willing to trade mine in for a plain tach, but since I'm upgrading the front suspension I'll have to look into a late tach as I won't be able to drive my current one witht the left wheel. Anyone know what else I'll need to install the electric version?

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'87 924S - Crunch/Rebuild
'76 924 - Long Gone
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Old 10-09-2003, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You're driving the tach from the front left wheel? Hmm...let us know how that works out for you.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't have a MPG gauge either. I don't recall seeing it mentioned in the owner's manual. I have seen it in the 924S dealer brochure. Maybe the CASIS (that irritating upshift arrow) relaced the MPG guage.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
jts924s, Unfortunatley I have both in my early '85, and that dang arrow is annoying.

Buddy, the '87 924S like the early 944s uses the stamped steel control arms up front (i.e. early offset) and the Speedometer is driven by a cable into the front hub (I mis-spoke in the previous). My understanding is that on the later cars, the speedo is driven through the transaxle. I'm wondering if that means I'll have to update my rear end as well?

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 10-10-2003, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
OBTW here's a nice plain Tach on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2435315441&category=33679&rd=1

about the same that I paid at my local salvage shop when my speedo went.

'85 (Early) 944 - Beater
'76 924 - Long Gone
- Mario Andretti
Old 10-10-2003, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
The tach's on the 944's all come off of the coil wire from the DME.

The fuel use gauge is driven by a signal from the DME (it seems to be the injector pulse width) and a hall effect sensor off of the back of the speedo on the early 944's.

The 924S is basically an early 944 with out the fender flairs. Thus the speedo comes off of the left front well via cable. So you could have the fuel use gauge if it was wired in.

The miles per gallon is for 5th gear -- stock tires. The gallons per hour is for any gear.

I seldom pay any attention to mine. It's fun to show your passenger that you are getting over 40 miles per gallon at 80 MPH -- when you let off the throttle just a little when going down a slight hill.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-10-2003, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Smile

My original Owners Manual shows the gauge but it is missing from my car too. What was Porsche thinking?
Old 10-10-2003, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
There should be a disclaimer on your owners manual saying that not all shown options may be installed on your car...

Also, the gauge is reading hours/gallon, not gallons/hour.
Ahmet
Old 10-10-2003, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Hours per gallon?
Old 10-10-2003, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Gauge envy, it's not pretty.

Surprized mine has one, since everything else was deleted on my car. No rear wiper, cruise, sunroof, ect.

1991 944S2 Rally #951 Rally-America.com
Old 10-10-2003, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
You will have to get a tach with out it. Should save two maybe three ounces!
Old 10-10-2003, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 1.2gees
Also, the gauge is reading hours/gallon, not gallons/hour.
Ahmet

Made you look! Made you look!

Well I did have to go out to the car and take a look.

Clearly the top line of the gauge reads:

G/h

Looks like Gallons per hour to me.

Might be different in German.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to scheistermeiste Send a message via Yahoo to scheistermeiste
ahhh thats a little shift arrow!... thing never worked for me... eh i guess ill fix it. if i dont then i have that thought in the back of my head of "... man i know not EVERYTHING is fixed..."

Asking if you should replace that timing belt is like asking if you should re-use a condom that may have in hole in it with a hooker.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
SoCal, I don't have my 84 anymore and I'm not a mechanic at the moment either, so I have no way of going out and looking at the gauge...

However I would hope that it shows hours/gallon, because otherwise it would be implying that it takes ~60gallons to idle for 1 hour, which is obviously not correct. Perhaps a german thing, or even a misprint, who knows.
Ahmet
Old 10-10-2003, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

It IS G/h for Gallons per hour, BUT...... It isn't pointing at the 60 mark, it should be pointing at the location were ".5" is marked, as in " Gallon per hour"
02 Altima SE 3.5 - grocery go-getter
00 Yellow Ducati Monster 900i.e. 88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
Old 10-10-2003, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: