Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to RichMason
How do I disable and remove airbags permanently and make dash light go out?

I have an 87 951 and the airbag lights are on. I would like to completely remove and disable the system, including turning out the lights for good but I want the on-board diagnostics for the other systems to work normally. Can I just ditch the bags and remove the airbag computer or is it more complicated than that? what about just removing the fuse?

87 951 for sale $5500
Old 10-27-2003, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Run into something.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 10-27-2003, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Why is the light on? Have you tried a simple reset?

You can disable the system by unplugging both of the air bags, and removing the Orange air bag computer from under the dash. Then just pull the light bulb for the air bag light from behind your instrument cluster.

All of this is NOT RECOMMENDED of course I have to say that. You should fix the system, it's a pretty simple setup.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-27-2003, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Scott,

Tried to reset three times with no success. Also, I can't pull the codes as outlined in Clark's manual. If I could get the codes, I would feel more confident about fixing it. Also, PO said he had the dealer diagnose and they quoted him $1500, which included new airbags. Seems a little steep to me...

SoCal, I hadn't thought of that approach.

Of course, I also didn't realize that removing the airbags will leave BIG HOLES.

87 951 for sale $5500
Old 10-27-2003, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
No codes probably means a control unit fault. The unit is easy to change, if you can find another 87 or up to try a swap from you can diagnose it as a bad unit.

Really there is only the contol unit and the crash sensors, and if you can't get a diag code the control unit is very suspect.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-27-2003, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Scott,

I spoke with the previous owner yesterday. He said that the airbag light came on as a result of a rapid deceleration at a tool booth. The estimate from the dealer included replacing the airbag brain. Byron has a working airbag brain from an 88S for $90. Does this seem like a logical next step to you? I assume that the rapid deceleration fools the airbag system into thinking that the car hit something but without the crush sensors telling it to deploy the bags. Is there something else that needs to be checked or reset?

87 951 for sale $5500
Old 10-31-2003, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Still sounds like the brain got screwed up somehow. The crash sensors themselves are placed far enough back that then sense the body crumple, and thats how they activate.

I hope its not a sensor, they are installed using a "rip bolt" and they are a pain to get out. But there are tests you can do on the sensors. They need to read a certain impedence at the controller. I think I can scan the test plan for you tonight if I can find the darn thing.

Again I would still lean towards the brain. Make sure that battery has been disconnected for about 30 min or so before removing that thing.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-31-2003, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Scott, What do the sensors look like. There are gray cylinders that look like AA batteries on the top of either front fender. I'm assuming that these are part of the system. For one of these, someone has been into the wiring harness as the casing is shredded and the individual wires are visible, although they appear intact.

87 951 for sale $5500
Old 10-31-2003, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
No it sounds like you are descriping the connector for the brake pad sensors, and or ABS if equipped. You can't see the airbag sensors form the engine compartment.

1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 10-31-2003, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: